Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Output: PDF output file size? - Visokio Forums
Output: PDF output file size?
  •     ygulla June 15, 2012 5:52AM
    Is it possible to reduce the size of the PDF outputs for lower quality settings? The PDF quality in 2.7 is of course much better than in 2.6, but it seems that the size increase might not be justified. I conducted the following experiment:

I created a new iok file "PDF size test" (attached) and output PDF from that in vector format, as high quality image and as low quality image using 1280x1024 resolution setting. Then I used GhostScript to reduce size of all three files with the following command:
    "C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.05\bin\gswin64.exe" -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=ReducedVector.pdf "Size test Vector.pdf"

[Unfortunately vector and high quality image take 10MB each, so I can't attach them, but the rest of the files are here.]

Now, "Size test Q1.pdf" (1.1MB, Omniscope's low quality image output) distorts the colour in the report. However I would expect it to be more like "ReducedQ10.pdf" (300KB, Omniscope's high quality image output processed by GhostScript). The latter looks perfect on the screen and takes less space.

Omniscope version used: 2.7 b356

Many thanks,
    Yuri
  • 2 Comments
  •     michael June 15, 2012 10:06AM
    Hi Yuri,

We added a new parameter "Post-process command" to PDF publish block.
    It should appear in the next nightly build 2.7-b362.
    You can use any external tool to post-process output PDF file.
    You should use {OUTPUT} {INPUT} wildcard parameters instead of output and input file names, e.g. :

your_tool.exe -abc123 {INPUT} {OUTPUT}
  •     ygulla June 21, 2012 8:05AM
    Just saw this - thanks you, this should do the trick.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership