Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Memory management: 32-bit limit exceeded on 64 bit machine? - Visokio Forums
Memory management: 32-bit limit exceeded on 64 bit machine?
  • Alexander     Alexander July 13, 2012 1:55PM
    Hi - I get a strange notification in the command screen when running my scheduler.
    As it is in the command screen, and not in Omniscope itself, I cannot send an error report.

I attached a screenshot, if you need any additional info please let me know. Thanks!
    Attachments
    Naamloos.png 38K
  • 6 Comments
  •     sherriff July 14, 2012 9:40AM
    see the discussion: Max memory issue

you may be experiencing a 32bit Java issue preventing 64bit Omniscope performance
  • Alexander     Alexander July 14, 2012 11:27AM
    Hi Sherriff,

Thanks for your advice, You mention you rebooted your machine.
    Do you mean restart or more serious rebooting?

Thank you!
  • Alexander     Alexander July 15, 2012 12:13PM
    Sherrif,

In the about screen of Omniscope I have ...=64.
    That would mean this is a different problem.

Thanks anyway!
  •     mustafa July 16, 2012 5:51AM
    Alexander, the logs you are seeing are not related to 32-bit/64-bit Java you are using.

The logs themselves can be safely ignored. If you are interested, the logs are related to how Omniscope switches between using Memory and Disk based system when working with large datasets.

We will shortly add an option to disable the logs all together to avoid confusion with the 32-bit and 64-bit Java.
  • Alexander     Alexander July 16, 2012 6:35AM
    okay! Thanks!
  • dellmerca July 13, 2017 5:59AM
    The amount of memory your .NET process can address depends both on whether it is running on a 32/64 bit machine and whether or not it it running as a CPU agnostic or CPU specific process.

By default a .NET process is CPU agnostic so it will run with the process type that is natural to the version of Windows. In 64 bit it will be a 64 bit process, and in 32 bit it will be a 32 bit process. You can force a .NET process though to target a particular CPU and say make it run as a 32 bit process on a 64 bit machine.

If you exclude the large address aware setting, the following are the various breakdowns

32 bit process can address 2GB
    64 bit process can address 8TB

http://net-informations.com/java/cjava/memory.htm

Dell

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership