Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Report analysis tool - Visokio Forums
Report analysis tool
  • VoteVote Up3Vote Down     ygulla September 20, 2011 8:10AM
    I would like to see a field summary for the whole Omniscope report. It should show the report designers the distribution of fields used in different tabs. By "used" I mean participating in queries, active filters and view settings.

So for the attached basic Omniscope file the output would look something like:
    ----- Filters ---- Queries --- Views
    Tab 1: Tier ------ None ----- Market Price, Ticker
    Tab 2: Category -- None ----- Category, Issue Date, Isin

This would enable thinning down the report after the initial development stage and tracing the impact of the input data changes (such as database field format change) on the particular report.

Secondly, it would be very useful to see the field dependency tree (for formulas) for the same purpose of finding the fields that are not used anymore.

I can imagine this being implemented as a new data manager block that takes an Omniscope file as an input and produces the above report. Would this be possible one way or another at all?

PS A bit of background: We have a large (30 tabs) report created a while ago. It was changed organically for months and was created using a not very speed efficient principle of "let's get all the data in and see what we can do with it". All the database tables were imported using "SELECT *" statements and unused formulas were rarely deleted. This resulted in about 450 fields in the final report. I bet half of them are not needed, so it's time to optimise it, and currently the fastest way to do that is to recreate the report from scratch, and even that will take a good few days. I'm sure it's not an uncommon scenario and the suggested tool would help immensely.
    Attachments
    ReportAnalysis.iok 52K
  • 2 Comments
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert September 22, 2011 6:14AM
    YGulla - another good idea. Any exposure of Omniscope metadata is to be welcomed, and your suggested approach would be a useful start.

Personally, I would love to see some form of API to the IOK format (read only) to allow inspection of IOK files from outside Omniscope. There are lots (and lots!) of uses for this, at both the individual file level (as per your suggestions) and across large repositories of IOK files (e.g. where are certain data sources/ fields / formulas also used?).
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert
  •     steve March 22, 2012 6:05AM

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership