Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Idea: Text Processing - Eliminate/substitute unwanted characters within strings? - Visokio Forums
Idea: Text Processing - Eliminate/substitute unwanted characters within strings?
  • VoteVote Up2Vote Down     davedunckley October 29, 2013 7:06AM
    Hi,

Just wondering if there is a way of replacing everything within brackets in a string of text.

I have a field that has a name, then a former name within parentheses. I would like to be able to remove the ( ) and also everything within.

Example:

Smith (jones)

Should become:
    Smith

as should:
    (jones) Smith

Thanks in advance
    Dave
  • 6 Comments
  •     paola October 29, 2013 7:10AM
    You could use Expand values operation in the DataManager and use "(" as the separator value. Operation will result in the field with values you need, and the field with rejects you can delete in the next step.
  •     davedunckley October 29, 2013 7:23AM
    Ah ha, yes that will work. Its messy and not ideal, but will do.

Thanks

Dave
  •     paola October 29, 2013 7:29AM
    We are looking into adding "*" value in the Search/Replace operation, where asterisk can represent any number or combination of characters.
    In this case you would search for "(*)" and replace with null.
  •     paola October 29, 2013 7:33AM
    Note - my suggestions will work when replacing the cell values, but not if you wish to rename the fields that contain the names in brackets. That you would do in the Field Organiser.
  •     tjbate October 29, 2013 8:05AM
    Note that Omniscope supports Regex (Regular Expressions) within text processing formulae...this is able to cope with almost any such text parsing and re-writing problem, but is much less accessible to non-developers than the methods outlined above. This has been posted as an idea to define * wildcard text substrings and replace them systematically within one or more fields, without having to write a RegEx expression.
  •     tjbate April 23, 2014 6:52AM
    Wildcard text substrings have been implemented in version 2.9
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership