Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Idea: Scheduler - Publishing outputs at different times? - Visokio Forums
Idea: Scheduler - Publishing outputs at different times?
  • VoteVote Up0Vote Down     alec_webliquid July 2, 2013 12:24PM
    Hello all,

I have just upgraded my Omniscope license to ServerPlus and am keen to get it set up to automate all my reports. However, at first glance it does not appear to be possible to make it work in the way I would like.

Specifically, I need to be able to update and publish specific blocks within a file, instead of updating all or publishing all - in particular the publishing. For instance, I have daily reports that I provide internally to my colleagues, and weekly, timestamped reports that are sent out to clients. They both contain the same dataset (different templates though) and are published from the same DataManager file, but obviously I don't want to be publishing the weekly reports every day as, among other things, they would clutter up my server.

So what I need to know is, is this possible? I have looked through the documentation and I find no mention anywhere of updating/publishing named blocks. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
  • 5 Comments
  •     tjbate July 2, 2013 12:50PM
    Alec - You can have any number of output blocks, using any number of different (refreshable) templates, connected anywhere in the overall flow. If the output blocks are not set to Auto-publish, their publish frequency should be controlled by the Scheduler Task List. Only DM blocks on which published outputs depend need to be refreshed, not all outputs...

Try making daily and weekly reports two different output blocks...?

Also, consider breaking up the IOK file into a sequence of IOK files, so that you can have yet-finer control...you may be trying to do too much in just one IOK file (?) rather than using a chain of dependent IOK files, each with its own refresh cycle.

Why not post a screenshot of your DataManager flow?
  •     alec_webliquid July 2, 2013 1:24PM
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for the advice - I am way ahead of you on both parts though: different output blocks for different reports and my files are sequential instead of all-in-one :)

What I do need to know is, how can I configure the scheduler to only publish certain blocks on certain days? As I said above, this is not an option given in the scheduler GUI (there are only options to update all or publish all) and it is also not mentioned anywhere in the documentation...

Thanks
  •     alec_webliquid July 3, 2013 8:44AM
    If it isn't possible, can I request it as a feature please?
  •     steve July 4, 2013 12:07PM
    Alec, we've added a "Block names" option, but to 2.9, so you'll need to wait a few weeks until we start the alpha partner programme.
  •     alec_webliquid July 5, 2013 5:46AM
    Cool, thanks Steve

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership