Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Integration: Scheduling jobs on different machines? - Visokio Forums
Integration: Scheduling jobs on different machines?
  • SteveP April 18, 2013 7:09AM
    Is it possible for Scheduler to launch a job on another PC on the network, so that the job runs using the copy of Omniscope on that second machine?
  • 7 Comments
  •     tjbate April 18, 2013 7:21AM
    Steve - If both machines are Server licenses or above, then the same Task List can be shared across machines, such that Task Lists can edited in one machine while executing on the other. The file paths defined for each Task will determine what file is acted upon on which machine.

If the remote machine is a Desktop with IOK files stored on it, then you can use an(optionally parametric) batch file in the Task List to launch the file on the server from the remote Desktop machine (potentially passing in parameters) as explained here:

http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/1376
  • Alexander     Alexander April 22, 2013 11:05AM
    Hi Thomas,

This part of your answer inspired us.

"If the remote machine is a Desktop with IOK files stored on it, then you can use an (optionally parametric) batch file in the Task List to launch the file from the remote Desktop machine..."

I read the other topic as well. But how do I trigger our server to open a file on my local pc?

How you can explain your answer so we can implement this great functionality.
  •     tjbate April 25, 2013 2:13PM
    Just create an Execute Command option that includes the full path to the .bat file on the remote machine. The .bat file references the IOK file to launch with full path and can also contain parameters to pass into Omniscope when opening the IOK file...as documented here:

http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/1376/integration-launching-omniscope-from-other-applications

•     tjbate April 25, 2013 2:20PM
    Here is the code for a simple .bat executable file that launches an IOK file and passes some filter parameters defined externally into Omniscope on file open:
    ---------------------------------------------------

@echo off
    REM ################################################
    REM The absolute path to Omniscope application

set OmniscopeAppPath=C:\Users\Thomas Bate\AppData\Local\Visokio Omniscope app\Omniscope.exe

REM Absolute path to the template file being launched.

set omniscopeTemplateFilePath="C:\Users\Public\Documents\Scheduler Demo Files\@Batch Parametric Launcher\ParametricLaunchFile.iok"

REM List of parameters being used to fully define data sources and launch settings for template file.

set parameterList=-dmParamName=Ticker -dmParamValue=abbey -dmParam2Name=Limit -dmParam2Value=5

REM Launching the template file with the parameters list defined above.

"%OmniscopeAppPath%" %omniscopeTemplateFilePath% %parameterList%
  • Alexander     Alexander April 26, 2013 4:48AM
    Thomas,

Thank you for your clear explenation. Maybe I am missing something. But our server is not connected to my local machine, so the path that you suggest does not exist.

Just to make sure that I understand your explenation correctly:

1 On the server I schedule an 'execute command' task
    2 In that command I give the path of on IOK file on my local machine.
    3 When execting, the file should open on my local machine.

Maybe it is easier to have a skype call about this situation.
    Thanks for the effort!
  •     zsolt April 26, 2013 6:34AM
    Hi Alexander,

The method Thomas suggested only works if you want to run a copy of Omniscope on the server machine.

If you want to run Omniscope on the other (desktop) machine, you have to find a way to remotely execute applications from one Windows machine on another. Basically, you have two options:

1. PsExec

http://windowsitpro.com/powershell/common-ways-run-programs-remote-computers

2. RemoteAccess

http://drtritsch.com/2011/08/remoteapp-on-windows-7-2

Both of these options are fairly complex, and you would probably need the help of your network administrator to set them up.

One you have established one of these methods and you are capable of remotely executing programs on your windows network, you can use a .bat file to automate the process as explained by Thomas in the previous posts.
  • Alexander     Alexander April 26, 2013 6:40AM
    Ok. thanks for investigating.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged