Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Bar/Line View: Avoiding Overlapping Labels? - Visokio Forums
Bar/Line View: Avoiding Overlapping Labels?
  •     dszl136154 April 26, 2012 6:15AM
    Is there a way to shift overlapping labels?
    Attachments
    labels.PNG 61K
  • 15 Comments
  •     steve April 26, 2012 6:31AM
    Not presently. You should configure dual axes, or show value labels for just one measure and a Y axis for the other.
  •     dszl136154 April 26, 2012 6:39AM
    I have two axes with labels option configured already as I need to show all values and it doesn't help. If there were label position options (e.g. Next, Above, Centre etc) that would be great. Thanks
  •     steve April 26, 2012 6:52AM
    Shifting labels up and down wouldn't work except by chance. But shifting some labels left and others right would be useful, and is a good and simple idea to resolve this issue in simple cases with two measures.
  •     dszl136154 September 21, 2012 5:17AM
    Hi - Has the label issue been sorted?
  •     dszl136154 September 21, 2012 5:20AM
    It brings many complaints from our Clients as it is very difficult to read values.image
    Attachments
    labels.png 18K
  •     steve September 21, 2012 12:00PM
    You should configure your file to show value labels only for one measure (e.g. the bars). For all other measures, use a left or right scale.
  •     dszl136154 September 21, 2012 12:07PM
    Client wants to see both values. To rely just on the Axes scales is not practical especially in the situation where we have many bars which don't fit in the screen. In this case to see a value we have to slide the view left and right to see what's on the Left/Right axes.

•     steve September 24, 2012 4:28AM
    In the green screenshot above, what is the orange text representing? I don't see a line or marker. Can you post an IOK file with a real-world bar view case, so we can ensure the fix works for your scenario?
  •     dszl136154 September 24, 2012 4:36AM
    There is no orange line because it is just one week data (one value for each of the metrics)
  •     steve September 25, 2012 8:57AM
    This is a difficult problem to solve. You could conceivably have many markers, lines or bars requiring labelling at very close positions.

One idea is to drop labels that can't be placed in their current position. In the case above, you'd only see a green label.

Another is to offset labels, so the first measure (bars) shows labels to the left of center, and the other (lines) to the right of center. This would prevent them overlapping, but might look weird and would only work for 2 measures.

Another is to raise and lower labels as far as needed to ensure they don't overlap. If you had many layers, this wouldn't work, and you'd need to colour by measures to permit labels and lines to be clearly associated.

Offsetting labels is the easiest solution; would this be acceptable?
  •     dszl136154 September 25, 2012 9:47AM
    How do I offset labels? Where is this option located?

How do I raise and lower labels?
  •     steve September 26, 2012 2:08AM
    These are suggestions for ways we could resolve this. Not implemented yet. I was looking for your view on suitability for your files.
  •     dszl136154 September 26, 2012 4:58AM
    The best solution would be if I could manually correct the layout of the labels (as it is in Excel for example)
    Or at least give some options where to locate the labels: below the line/ above the line/ inside the bar/ outside the bar/ at the bottom of the graph/at the top of the graph etc. If there are more than one measure involved then it would have to be possible to manipulate them individually.
    This is how I see it.
  •     steve September 26, 2012 3:14PM
    Dariusz,

A solution we believe to be good has been implemented in tonight's build of 2.8 (b312). See example screenshot, attached.

The front layers/lines are labelled as a priority.
    Subsequent layers behind are labelled if a label fits either above or below the marker or end-of-bar.
    On mouse-over, any labels hidden due to other labels reappear and "pop" to the front.

Let us know what you think.

Steve
    Attachments
    bar line labels.jpg 213K
  •     dszl136154 September 27, 2012 4:38AM
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for solving the problem. As long as it does the job I am happy with it

Dariusz
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged