Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Batch Publishing: Dynamic Content in Message Bodies (2.8+) - Visokio Forums
Batch Publishing: Dynamic Content in Message Bodies (2.8+)
  •     ddemarco September 13, 2011 8:17AM
    Would it be possible to add dynamic Content view behaviour to the Message Text Box in the “Email Output block”?
  • 12 Comments
  •     ddemarco September 14, 2011 2:00PM
    I am trying to attach a screenshot, but its not letting me. Do you have an email ?
  •     tjbate September 15, 2011 6:03AM
    Please note that the external Batch Control file allows you to specify all the details about any number of file delivery emails, including message body. If you have a Desktop Edition, you can use this for up to 3 e-mails per file...Server Editions can send unlimited personalised variants of IOK files.

If you want to send HTML-formatted e-mail, you should be able to paste the HTML into the message body cells of the batch control file and this should be transferred 'as is' to the emails being sent.

Please use support AT our domain to send an e-mail if you need further assistance
  •     steve September 15, 2011 2:15PM
    Darren wants to be able to have an email whose body includes not only a table of data but also a summary line, e.g. "Total = 5162" dynamically populated using formulas, like in the content view.

I have classified this as an Idea. However you can achieve this using Batch Publisher as Tom mentions, where the "command file" for the batch publisher is itself generated dynamically with the message body populated using formulae.
  •     steve May 11, 2012 4:39AM
    Summary of current thinking for this idea:

The following new options in the Email Output block, after the "Add inline data table" options:
    • "Add inline Content View" checkbox
    • "Template file" sub-option (browse for an IOK file)
    • "Selected tab" sub-option (pick a tab from the IOK file)

When the first option is checked, the others become available. You must browse for an IOK file containing a content view, and identify the tab containing that view. That tab must contain only one content view.

The content view must be designed to work with the Email block input data structure. So any dynamic content (formulas/functions/scripts) must refer only to fields of the same name and data type in the input data.

Only the content view's document model will be honoured. Other advanced view settings, such as aggregation, will not be supported.

On publish, Omniscope will retrieve the Content View document model (text, styling, formulas/functions, scripting) from the IOK file, evaluate/render the resulting HTML using the block input data, and append the resulting rich text/HTML to the email message body.

Using this, you can format a richly styled email including online images and dynamically evaluated formulas based on whatever input data is present at publishing time.

You can also use the Batch Output block to automate a sequence of emails with Content View driven message bodies, to different recipients, with different data.

We hope to include this in 2.8, although we may change the details.
  •     steve May 11, 2012 5:04AM
    The above solution requires you to link to an existing IOK file and isn't as intuitive.

Alternative idea:

The existing "Message text" (currently only supporting plain text) to be upgraded to a rich text field, very similar to the "Tab footer" or Content View. This field would immediately support fonts/styles and online images, and also formulas and scripting.

You would be able to design your email directly in the Email block using styles and dynamic content.
  •     steve May 11, 2012 2:33PM
    We've implemented the second idea in 2.8, which will be released to alpha partners shortly.

In summary, the Data tab of the Email Output block now has a "Dynamic content" option, allowing you to edit text with fonts, colours, styles, tables, formulae, etc. in exactly the same way as the content view.
  • Alexander     Alexander October 9, 2013 4:35PM
    Hi Steve,

Is this idea also implemented in the batch output? Can I just paste an HTML body text in the configuration file?
  • Alexander     Alexander October 9, 2013 5:17PM
    I found something in the batch configuration file in 2.8.
    But I cannot add the dynamix content in the formule field, and therefore it is not possible to make my HTML email with personalized fields.

Now I paste the HTML body (I copied the source code from the mail output block) into the "Replace all values" field.

If necessay I am available for screen sharing.

Thanks
  •     chris October 10, 2013 5:20AM
    Hi Alexander, I think it would be worthwhile to arrange a screensharing. Are you free this afternoon?
  • Alexander     Alexander October 10, 2013 5:43AM
    Sure. Around 2 pm uk time?
  •     chris October 10, 2013 6:03AM
    Hi that sounds great. I'll contact you then.
  •     SimonWiggins August 18, 2017 7:20AM
    Hi,

Did anyone solve this or did it get implemented?
    Looking to send rich text emails from batch output.

[Edit: Solved! Didn't spot the dynamic field in the batch output config!]

Thanks,

Simon

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership