Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Default Lats and Longs with Yahoo! Disconnected - Visokio Forums
Default Lats and Longs with Yahoo! Disconnected
  •     Wayne September 29, 2011 1:23PM
    I've recently run an update on one of my IOKs and it appears that the lats and longs default reference to Yahoo! has been broken. The default is reporting back a 503 error. Screenshot attached. Cloudmade is functioning fine, for now.
    Attachments
    503.jpg 160K
  • 4 Comments
  •     steve September 29, 2011 1:26PM
    As shown, 503 error means the server is temporarily overloaded or under maintenance. Any external service like this is liable to this sort of issue occasionally. Try later.
  •     Wayne September 29, 2011 1:35PM
    Thanks Steve.

Also worth noting that the cloudmade option is returning screwy lats and longs. For the United States it is returning lat -3.37232 long 36.85787, which is somewhere in Tanzania. Screenshot attached. Looks like hard coding is the only reliable solution to this.
    Attachments
    cloudmade.jpg 214K
    map.jpg 192K
  •     steve September 29, 2011 1:40PM
    Different providers have different behaviour, and geocoding text addresses sometimes involves guesswork. You might find it better if you append text to the query to give it more context. So, if you are searching for places in the US, append ", US" to the text you are passing to the geocode functions. The more information you give it, the more likely it will get the right place.
  •     steve September 29, 2011 1:45PM
    I replied without consulting your screenshot. If you're just trying to geocode country centres, we have a lookup for that. Use Data > Operations > Merge/Join, and choose a "Lookup data" in the external data drop-down. Pick "Locations - Countries". You'll need to make sure the country name is correct first.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership