Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Idea: Formulae - custom formulae library? - Visokio Forums
Idea: Formulae - custom formulae library?
  • VoteVote Up9Vote Down     steve August 25, 2011 12:50PM
    The ability to define a library of formula snippets in an IOK file, as custom functions with defined arguments, and then refer to those functions from within formulas throughout the file.

For example, you might define
    MYDIV(arg1, arg2)
    as
    IF(OR(arg2=null, arg2=0), null, arg1/arg2)

Henceforth you could use
    MYDIV([SomeField], [AnotherField])
    without having to handle null/zero divisors.

Additionally, owner-locked files would prevent access to the library, thereby protecting most of the IP in your formulas.

(submitted externally - please comment/vote)
  • 5 Comments
  •     bfromson1 August 31, 2011 5:43AM
    Great suggestion, could be very useful
  •     jlwils11 September 5, 2011 2:54PM
    If / when this gets built, it would also be nice if it were built out kind of like a class file so it could be referenced from other omniscope files which include it in its reference library.
  •     steve September 5, 2011 3:24PM
    Hmm... while I see the benefits, not sure I like the idea of a "shared library" which you can change and inadvertently break some models without realising it. I prefer the ability to have an IOK-specific library, with import/export abilities.
  •     jlwils11 September 5, 2011 3:46PM
    Whatever the means would be, I would just like a single place where I can place key formulas that can be inherited by other omniscope files to reduce overhead and upkeep of formulas in other files.
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert September 22, 2011 6:35AM
    A simple workaround (and one that I use) is to keep a text file of all the most useful formulas on your desktop. When approaching a new project, it's easy to copy & paste from the "library" file into a new text file every formula needed, and then use the import function to bring them all in.

I have also tried this with an empty IOK file, and then using export formulas to get the ones I want (after filtering in Data Manager), but personally I find this no quicker than reaching for Notepad++.

I'm a big fan of the idea of being able to read IOK files via a Visokio-approved API... if this appeared on the horizon I might crack on with the "Omniscope Metadata Manager" application I have had in my head for the past few years!

Until then, a text file will have to do.

By the way, none of this addresses the class inheritance approach you advocate (great idea) but it does cut down on maintenance across files... albeit only a little!
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership