Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Parameterised Queries - Visokio Forums
Parameterised Queries
  •        benjamin November 15, 2010 7:14PM
    Hi

I have developed a Omniscope file which use a parameterised query which runs off a outputed parameter from another omniscope file.

Now this is all fine , except the "refresh" button only pops up if you have a licence and not on the free viewers (i assume this is since parameteriesed queries refresh file from the database using the parameterised query ) and so users of my report (some whom have free viewers) are unable to use this functunality.

Is there a way around this ?

My inital idea is to create a file which is refreshed daily on the server and then let the parameterised query, query this file instead of the database but i am having some difficulty in using the parameter to query the file .

Is it possible to let free viewers refresh using a parameterised query ??
  • 8 Comments
  •        benjamin November 16, 2010 8:18AM
    I have found a way around this issue as in my initial idea above and then using the parameter as a input in record filter.However it would be nice if non licence users could refresh based on the application of parameterised query
  •        benjamin November 18, 2010 2:00PM
    Is letting Non licenced user be able to query the database through a parameterised query possible.As i would be very keen for such functionality in omniscope.
  •     steve November 18, 2010 2:04PM
    We plan to add this ability, hopefully in 2.6.
  •     steve November 19, 2010 7:49PM
    I should clarify that this will only be available to Enterprise CP licensees, for the viewers of their files.
  •     chris December 10, 2010 9:46PM
    We do not allow the free viewer to access access data directly from a Database. An enpowered IOK file created from an Enterprise Omniscope can only obtain data from another IOK file.

Another solution would be to download all of the database data with no filters and use that as a source. In a separate IOK file you could connect the IOK source to a parameter-driven record filter. Users opening this file in a free viewer would be able to execute a refresh with/without parameters. This functionality is not available at the moment. We intend to develop it as part of the Omniscope 2.6 release, but we may have to push it back to the Omniscope 2.7 release depending on development complexity and time-scales. Please get in touch if this functionality is urgent.
  •     steve December 17, 2010 4:52PM
    Parameterised refresh is now available from tonight in Pro and Viewer editions of 2.6 with some fairly complex rules:

1. Viewers can only refresh data in files created by an Enterprise CPL edition, and only if the source data is in IOK format.
    2. For database access, the client must have Pro edition or better.

In your case, you will need to use an IOK source block, and a Record Filter block to do the parameter-driven filtering. Since Omniscope is only loading the source data in the background and never visualising it until after it has been filtered, you will still get *some* memory use benefits of using this approach, over loading the full data file into Omniscope.

You will need an Enterprise CPL license in order for this to work. Only files created by an Enterprise CPL edition can be refreshed in the Viewer, and then only if they use IOK sources.

Once you have this set up, your users will have two instances of Omniscope Viewer open, one in which they select records, which generates a filtering parameter, and the other which dynamically refreshes from parameter-driven filtered data in a server IOK file.

Alternatively, if your clients have Professional editions and you have an Enterprise CPL license, you can use server-side filtering using auto-generated SQL in the database block. But you will need to set up the model using Enterprise CPL.
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert December 30, 2010 5:40PM
    Steve - would appreciate a more thorough explanation of the above... this *sounds* like new functionality, but I'm not sure what all the various permutations are... is it reasonable to expect some documentation emerging on the website as to what the various (DM / Ent / Ent CPL) editions can do in this regard? It would be very useful to know - even if it's just directional at this stage...
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership