Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Scheduler: Refresh action skipping one of 3 sources? - Visokio Forums
Scheduler: Refresh action skipping one of 3 sources?
  • Alexander     Alexander January 14, 2016 7:12AM
    Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone has experienced a similar situation, and what a solution might be.
    Last night our scheduler performed a chain action. One of the tasks is a file action, (refresh and publish).

The file action has 3 main sources, combined in joins and append operations. The output only contained data from 2 of the 3 sources. When executed again this morning, the result was as expected containing data from all 3 sources.

This situation create a feeling of unstable processes, a feeling we desperately want to avoid ourselves but especially at the client side.
  • 12 Comments
  •     tjbate January 14, 2016 9:56AM
    Alexander - Are all 3 sources copied onto the same server as running Omniscope? If one of the sources is accessed over a network from a different machine, a temporary networking failure can cause the source to be unavailable when Omniscope executes the Task List of Chain/File actions.

Locating all sources on the same machine, or ensuring redundant network access to all sources is the only way to minimise this risk.
  • Alexander     Alexander January 14, 2016 10:17AM
    Thomas,

Thanks. All sources that this datamanager is using are locally created and stored. Even if this server would go offline, all sources should be accessible as they are on the same harddisk.
  •     steve January 15, 2016 1:48AM
    Is it possible that, rather than the Merge block "skipping" an input, perhaps all 3 inputs were processed but one of them had zero records? You should be able to use a validation block above each merge input connector, to fail noisily if any inputs are produced incorrectly for whatever reason.
  • Alexander     Alexander January 15, 2016 3:39AM
    Hi Steve,

I understand what you mean, and we are using the validate block more often. This scripts has not been modified in the last 6 months, therefore it is strange that suddenly the behaviour of the script has changed in one run.

I checked all sources and all were (at the time of the task) as expected filled with data.

Thanks for taking this seriously.
  • Alexander     Alexander January 16, 2016 2:19PM
    Hi Steve and Thomas,

We have a new strange situation that we cannot explain. The scheduler was planned to execute a batch output that should make multiple PDF files. Yet only half of them was created, after this (not fully) executed task, the chain action continued with the following tasks. This is strange, as "propagate failure" is ticked.

We also send a bug report this afternoon, hope you can help us in investigating this issue. Thanks!
  •     chris January 20, 2016 4:39AM
    Alexander,

Can we arrange a screen-share to demonstrate this issue? Are you available this afternoon or tomorrow?

Regards

Chris
  • Alexander     Alexander January 20, 2016 4:52AM
    Sure. Tomorrow afternoon at 1pm uk time?
  •     chris January 20, 2016 5:25AM
    Thats fine for me, speak to you then.

Chris
  • Alexander     Alexander January 20, 2016 6:03AM
    Great! Thanks
  • Alexander     Alexander January 21, 2016 8:13AM
    Hi Chris, Cant reach you. Can you call me on skype please?
  •     chris January 21, 2016 8:21AM
    Hi Alexander, I sent you an email, did you get it?
  • Alexander     Alexander January 21, 2016 8:21AM
    You can ignore my last comment.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership