Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Bar/Line View: Negative numbers and Mean values? - Visokio Forums
Bar/Line View: Negative numbers and Mean values?
  •     Phillipa April 30, 2015 12:26PM
    Hi Guys,

I am doing a relatively simple bar diagram to show the expected change in use of a substance in the next 6 months.
    Each record (doctor) has a number which can be positive to show an increase or negative to show a decrease in use.
    I have taken the mean value without any weight to show the overall expected change.

However, here is the problem - the positive values are being calculated and the average taken and it appears as if the negative values are being calculated separately. This means I have one doctor with a -50% and his value is shown as -50% whilst the other 13 doctors have positive values where the mean of all their values is taken at 27%.

I now have a total value of -22.9%, which is not correct. I have tried aggregating but can't seem to get rid of the -50%.

Am I overlooking something?

Thanks for any help.

Phillipa
  • 3 Comments
  •     paola April 30, 2015 12:56PM
    Not sure what method you used to calculate the mean? Formula in the DataManager, Table in Data Explorer, or Formula as a measure in the Bar/Line view?
    It is better to use a formula field, in which case I cannot reproduce the issue.

Attachments
    MeanBars.JPG 65K
  •     Phillipa May 4, 2015 4:14AM
    Hi Paola,

Thanks for the answer. My mistake....

The problem was that I was using a stacked bar chart.

Omniscope was giving me mean values for each stack and then stacking the mean values.

Phillipa

Attachments
    Mean values.PNG 15K
  •     paola May 5, 2015 2:01PM
    Sum of means is difficult to interpret, so depending on the scenario perhaps you could try different method, either comparing the outcome of the individual categories (+/-%) or calculating a single weighted mean figure as a global indicator.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership