Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Changing values: Add formulae fields or use Search/Replace? - Visokio Forums
Changing values: Add formulae fields or use Search/Replace?
  •     elitem September 19, 2011 12:15PM
    Hi guys - I would like to find out how to do a simple update to cells, similar action to an MS Access "update" query. Where I select and field, select criteria (for the same of a different field), and what to update the cells into if the criteria is met.

For example, I have a table of people's details i.e. names, address etc. Some of them have an email address in the email field, and for some the email field is null. I want to create a new field which will be called "Has Email?" and will be updated with either "yes" or "no" depending on whether or not the email field for that record has something in it or is null.

Can you help? Thanks Elite
  • 16 Comments
  •     tjbate September 19, 2011 2:48PM
    Elite - Omniscope uses formulae and/or Search/Replace and Record Filter blocks to detect alert conditions or data quality issues, setting 'flags' in fields that show on filtered alert/data quality tabs as calls to action.

In this case, you could use an IF statement defining a Formula field called something like [E-Mail Status]

IF([E-mail]=null, "No", "Yes")

You do not always need to create a separate Formula field. You could, for example, set a Search/Replace operations block to replace all null (empty) values in the [E-Mail] field with something like "no_value@e-mail.com"
  •     Mees September 22, 2011 6:21AM
    Thom, an update query type of functionality might be useful in case of replacing values other than null. Currently it is quite easy to do to be honest, just by creating a new formula field and use e.g. an IF statement. However, that creates a new field and if you want to remain the original field name it requires an additional field organiser block. It would be useful to have an additional option (eg next to the "Raplace all values" option in Field organiser block) to replace values based on a where clause.
  •     elitem September 26, 2011 6:07AM
    Hi Tom, thanks for the comment - I've just tried to do the formula as you suggested above, but getting an error. I'm attaching a screenshot. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Elite

Attachments
    Formula1.GIF 133K
  • antonio     antonio September 26, 2011 6:25AM
    Hi Elite,
    you forgot to put parentheses ( ) around the IF formula.

Regards,
    Antonio
  •     elitem September 26, 2011 6:33AM
    Hi Antonio. Thanks for the tip. I'm still not managing it. I'm using the following formula:

(if)[email]=null, "no"

This is obviously incorrect. I'm trying to say: if the email field value is null, then update the cell in this field to "no". Can you type the correct way for me?

Would appreciate your help. is there somewhere I can see examples to different types of queries? any material explaining how to use the different functions and the exact language of writing the queries?

Thanks
    Elite
  • antonio     antonio September 26, 2011 6:39AM
    As Tom suggested, the correct formula is IF([Email]=null, "no")

Refer to http://www.visokio.com/kb/functions-guide for more info about functions and formulae.

Regards,
    Antonio
  •     tjbate September 26, 2011 6:41AM
    Elite - the IF( function should be in green...with no leading parenthesis...try selecting the IF function from the green drop-down function list below. Green is for functions, and blue is for fields/columns
  •     elitem October 10, 2011 7:59AM
    Hello again, I'm trying to use the attached formula and getting an error, why?image
    Attachments
    Formula2.GIF 121K
  • antonio     antonio October 10, 2011 9:15AM
    Hello Elite,

You miss the open parenthesis '(' . The correct formula is IF([Organisation]=null, "n/a")

Regards
  •     steve October 10, 2011 10:14AM
    You're also using square brackets wrongly.

If you insert field references using the "Insert field" option, you don't need these (and they are incorrect).

You only need square brackets when you are typing the field name manually.

So, either manually type IF([Organisation]=null, "n/a")

Or type IF( then use "Insert field" and choose Organisation, then type =null, "n/a")

NB. If you are typing your field names, and the name doesn't contain special characters or spaces, you can omit the square brackets too.
  •     elitem October 10, 2011 11:39AM
    Thanks Steve, yes that works!
  •     elitem November 7, 2011 12:26PM
    Hello, I have another query I want to run through you. I need to know what Omniscope uses for the Access "or". The idea is:

(IF([Mastercard issuers] = "True", "Yes") or IF ([Mastercard issuers]= "false", "No"))

I'm getting an error because of the "or". I'm not sure what term to use...

Thanks,
    Elite
  •     steve November 7, 2011 12:51PM
    It's the Excel syntax we follow most closely:
    IF(OR(test1, test2, test3), ...)
    Alternatively IF can have multiple clauses:
    IF(test1, result1, test2, result2, result3)
    But in this case, don't you simply want:
    IF([Mastercard issuers] = "True", "Yes", "No")
    ?
  •     elitem November 8, 2011 4:40AM
    Hi Steve

In this case I want (in simple English): if field value equals "true" then update value to "yes", and if field value equals "false" then update value to "no". I simply want to convert a True/False field to a Yes/No.
  •     steve November 8, 2011 7:50AM
    If your field contains solely true/false, you can use this:
    IF(field="true", "Yes", "No")

If it also contains other values, use this:
    IF(field="true", "Yes", field="false", "No", field)

This will create a new field; you then need to convert to static values and delete the original field to complete the replacement.

But you might find it easier simply using Data > Operations > Search/replace.
  •     elitem November 9, 2011 7:04AM
    Alright, Search/Replace is the solution for me! thanks Steve much appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership