Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Outputs: Export to pre-formatted Excel? - Visokio Forums
Outputs: Export to pre-formatted Excel?
  • Jasper March 11, 2011 5:00AM
    Hi - What I would like to do is exporting data from Omniscope into a preformatted Excel. In Omniscope, i can output to Excel, but it will result in a 'raw' dump of data. I know from other systems that there are options like selecting an 'empty' Excel template (containing images, colors, fixed text etc) and indicate where what data should be inserted in the Excel template. Do you know if it is possible in Omniscope to export to a preformatted Excel?
  • 7 Comments
  •     chris March 11, 2011 5:14AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the question. You can export to an excel document that already exists. In DataManager use the 'File output' block, select the Excel file and enter the name of the sheet you want to export to. In Omniscope 2.6 select 'File>Export>Data file' to see the same export options. A new worksheet will be inserted into the file with the name specified. Any other worksheets with different names will be retained and other options in the Excel template (images, colors etc) should also be retained.

The Excel output does not allow you to specify formatting for the exported worksheet. How would you see this working? What type of formatting options would you like to be able to configure?

Chris
  • Jasper March 11, 2011 7:28AM
    Hi Chris,

Thx for your fast reply! I've tried the export options in datamanager but it does not seem to support exporting within an existing excel worksheet (which i can preformat with colors, logo's etc) or creating an excel with these options.
    What i've seen in other tools, is either the ability to open an existing worksheet, and 'assigning' data to specific cells/columns in the excelsheet or creating an excel (including layout etc) within the tool. This would result in an excel, containing both the fixed elements (colors, logo's, standard text etc) and extended with the data from omniscope during the export routine.

Formatting options would include all options supported by excel...
  •     steve March 11, 2011 9:25AM
    I think the easiest answer is to allow you to pick an existing worksheet and a "cell origin", plus options for overwriting or replacing row data. Omniscope would then write the cell data from the cell origin, down-and-right, preserving all cells outside this block, and preserving or replicating cell formatting options.

I have reclassified this as an idea.
  •     steve March 11, 2011 9:29AM
    Can you post some example XLS files that show how the data would be inserted and what kinds of formatting customisations you would want?
  • Jasper March 15, 2011 10:16AM
    Hi Steve,

I think your solution would be a quick fix to get omniscope data into a preformatted excel (i would be able to link a single cell in omniscope to a single cell in Excel). On the otherhand, i guess it will not support dynamic sizes of datasets (such as more days on a horizontal scale or more categories on a vertical scale)

Best thing would be is to be able to assign attributes to the Excel template (such as "category" or "date" and metrics (such as "revenue") and having omniscope inserting the actual values into the template (independently of the number of columns/rows)
    I attached an example of such an excel (template on sheet1, actual result on sheet2)
    Attachments
    Excel_template.xlsx 29K
  •     steve March 18, 2011 5:44AM
    My suggestion could allow "replication" of cell formats, most typically vertically. You would style a single row of cells in Excel, then Omniscope would replicate that row's style for every data row exported. We'll look into adding this feature in 2.7.
  •     chris November 16, 2011 6:29AM
    Hi. We have now implemented this feature as part of the Excel export options. This will be in tonights Omniscope 2.7 release (b131). Please let us know if you have any problems using it.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged