Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Keeping axis on bar graph at same height - Visokio Forums
Keeping axis on bar graph at same height
  • VoteVote Up6Vote Down     WKeith January 25, 2011 10:07AM
    I would like to force the x axis of a bar chart to stay at the same position, regardless of the values being displayed, so that when I show the data as a time series, I get an effect like a graphic equailizer.

Is that possible? I attach a file showing example of what happens just now, that is, the x-axis moves up and down, depending on the size of the largest negative and positive values.

Many thanks

Keith Guthrie
    Attachments
    visokiorequest.doc 205K
  • 20 Comments
  •     edward January 25, 2011 11:01AM
    The X axis moves up and down to accommodate bars which may vary over a wide range. It is currently not possible to disable this behaviour.
  •     WKeith January 26, 2011 7:13AM
    I have achieved close to what I want by adding a dummy dataset containing the maximum and minimum value I want to show, then removing the border, shadow and gradient fills from the display and setting the colour for the max and min value to white. All I need to do now is work out if I can remove the numbers from the tops of the columns, do that I dont leave "hanging values". By calling my maximum and minimum data !Max and ZMin I force them to be the first and last values.image
    Attachments
    equaliser.PNG 10K
  •     steve January 26, 2011 7:50AM
    Nice workaround. Re-classify as an Idea and vote for this - we'll consider for 2.7.
  •     mustafa January 26, 2011 8:19AM
    You can hide the labels at the top of the bars by selecting "Tools > Layout > Show measure labels at top of bars" in the Bar view toolbar. However, in certain cases it wasn't working which I have fixed in tonight's release. The fixes should be available from 2.6 build 503 or later.
  •     WKeith January 26, 2011 9:34AM
    Thanks for that - I was looking to do it in 2.5, which is what our users see - When will 2.6 be beta/mainstream?
  •     steve January 26, 2011 9:37AM
    We don't have an exact date. We hope for beta within the next few weeks, but support and fixing is taking far longer than anticipated.
  •        benjamin January 27, 2011 7:25AM
    How does this work ?? ...Adding a dataset with Max and Min Values will this only work if those values are outside those of the orirginal dataset..
  •     steve January 27, 2011 8:54AM
    I think that's what WKeith wants. There's no way using this trick to get the bars to be cropped by a smaller range. All it does is ensure at least the range given is shown.
  •     WKeith January 28, 2011 4:11AM
    I was trying to do it in 2.5, as that is what my users have. Keen to see 2.6 beta/production as mentioned elsewhere.
  •     WKeith January 28, 2011 6:24AM
    I hadn't considered cropping high/low value ranges - to do that you would need to set up a column with an if clause that replaced the "real" value with the "Max" or "Min value if it exceeded it or went below it - also 0 needs to be in the range to be dsiplayed, though I guess you could subtract a constant from each value........
  •     WKeith January 31, 2011 11:25AM
    To achieve the same result in 2.6 5.04 (where I managed to hide the numbers at the top of the columns) I had to use a white "background" .jpg file, to prevent Visokio "helpfully" forcing outlines round the white bars - it does that for white on white. The .jpg fools it.
    Attachments
    Capture6.PNG 19K
  •     steve January 31, 2011 12:42PM
    To sum up, we need an option to set min/max fixed values for the bar view. I've given Keith another vote on this for his dedication.
  •     WKeith January 16, 2012 11:30AM
    Could this be put back into the 2.7 alpha? - "Tools > Layout > Show measure labels at top of bars"

Cheers
  •     steve January 16, 2012 11:34AM
    It's here, and now per-measure:

Measures > [each measure] > Scale > Show value labels
  •     WKeith January 16, 2012 11:42AM
    thanks
  •     mustafa July 25, 2012 9:14AM
    This feature has been implemented in 2.8 which will be available shortly.

You will be able to fix the range by editing the minimum and maximum value in the "Custom axis range" menu under the Scale menu that is available in the Bar/Line view toolbar.
  •     WKeith July 25, 2012 12:25PM
    Many thanks

Keith
  •     steve July 26, 2012 1:48AM
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership