Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
exporting a report to a .PDF - Visokio Forums
exporting a report to a .PDF
  •     KRIN June 28, 2010 2:50PM
    When exporting a report to a .PDF file the image quality is very poor. Any suggestions ?
    Thanks,
    KRIN
  • 7 Comments
  •     tjbate June 28, 2010 6:44PM
    Dmitry - Omniscope prints as an image, so you may need to use the zoom control to increase the size of all the text in the IOK file, and make sure your printers are set to high image quality for pictures, not draft mode for rendered fonts like Excel.
  •     ygulla June 6, 2011 11:03AM
    I'll revive this old thread and ask to elaborate on the quality settings.

When using File -> Export -> Export PDF... the resulting pdf is indeed hard to read. Zooming helps but the resulting fonts still appear jagged. For contrast, a manual screenshot jpg looks *much* better.

Are you saying there is a way to set up internal Omniscope PDF printer to create higher quality PDFs?
  •     tjbate June 9, 2011 8:54AM
    The reference to image quality above refers to settings on the exernal hard-copy printers, (not Omniscope) which are often left in draft mode for spreadsheet printing, whereas printing hard-copy from Omniscope benefits from image/photo settings.

Are you saying that a print screen from Omniscope (File > Save screen image) prints hard copy better than the export to PDF from the same Omniscope tab....or that Shift+PrtSc on the PC keyboard takes an image of the Omniscope tab/screen that prints better than both internal Omniscope options?
  •     ygulla June 28, 2011 12:18PM
    To be precise, I meant that Shift+PrtSc and Capture View -> Save as Image produce better results than export to PDF option.

After a bit of experimentation, I should probably retract the "much" part of my statement. Yet the manual screenshots and captured views do look better than pdfs. See attached files for an example.

I realise it's most probably a compression issue (pdf is 1/3 of the size of the other two). If so -- can the quality be changed when creating the pdf? And can a quality slider be added to the user interface?
  •     chris June 29, 2011 4:15AM
    Hi Yuri,

Thank you for the information. We will be doing some investigation to see whether we can improve the image quality in a PDF in the next week or so. I'll post to this thread after this investigation has been undertaken.
  •     chris July 4, 2011 10:41AM
    Hi,

We have now added the ability to specify the image quality when exporting screenshot's to PDF. This option will be available in tonight's Omniscope 2.6 release. You can use a slider to choose from low to high quality. Internally this is the range 0-1. Previously the setting was 0.75, which is why the resulting screenshot was sometimes hard to read.
  •     ygulla July 7, 2011 4:50AM
    Thanks, Chris!

I just got around to downloading the new version and it works indeed. I'm yet to test it on real life samples, but there is definitely some improvement.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership