Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Scheduler: Automatic refresh with missing file? - Visokio Forums
Scheduler: Automatic refresh with missing file?
  •     ygulla March 7, 2014 6:49AM
    Hi, we just encountered a behaviour where a scheduled job has gone through a refresh of an .iok file despite the fact that one of the excel inputs was missing. I would expect the process to fail in this case.

Here's the relevant bit of the scheduler .xml file:

< schedulerFileAction source="..." logTimings="false">
    < subActions>
    < schedulerFileActionRefreshFromSource/>
    < schedulerFileActionRecalcFormulas />
    < schedulerFileActionPublishDataManagerOutputBlocks/>
    < /subActions>
    < /schedulerFileAction>

Is there something we can do to fail the chain of actions if input files are missing?

Thanks,
    Yuri
  • 8 Comments
  •     Bart March 7, 2014 6:59AM
    Hi Yuri,

I presume that you are appending all sources and one of the sources was missing.

Try to use validation block to look if all sources are there, once validation will fail omniscope will not push any data further.

Regards,
    Bart
  •     Bart March 7, 2014 7:04AM
    Please find example attached
  •     ygulla March 7, 2014 7:24AM
    This seems to happen regardless of whether the files are appended or not. For example, the attached file, that simply has one non-existent excel input, will happily run through < schedulerFileActionRefreshFromSource/> command and not fail. The iok won't actually refresh.
    I agree that I can put custom validation here as well, but was hoping for a solution that is easier to apply to all the files that are being potentially affected.
    Attachments
    OmniRefreshTest.iok 9K
  •     Bart March 7, 2014 9:52AM
    Try to add this to your xml
    schedulerFileActionPublishDataManagerOutputBlocks failOnError="true" />
  •     ygulla March 7, 2014 10:19AM
    Hmm unfortunately still runs as if the file is there. I added failOnError="true" to every sub-action just in case too.
  •     ygulla March 31, 2014 7:14AM
    Hi guys, any suggestions on this - it's rather tricky to spot reports that failed to refresh if the refresh file action doesn't fail...
  • victor June 23, 2014 8:59AM
    Hi,
    Many thanks for your feedback, and apologies for the late reply.
    You are right, the "Refresh From Source" action didn't respond to failOnError="true", as it should.
    We just implemented that change, and you can find it in the next release (2.9 b1343 or later).

Here's how to make the change to an existing task through the GUI:
    - Go to the Scheduler "config" panel
    - Select the task you want to modify and click the "Edit selected" button.
    - Click the "Edit" button for the Action you want to change
    - In the Operations list, select the "Refresh From Source" operation, and click the "Edit selected" button.
    - Now, you will see a dialogue with a checkbox labelled "Fail on error".
    - By default, the checkbox will be unticked, meaning an, e.g. missing file will not affect the rest of the workflow (this is the same behaviour we had until this release)
    - When ticked, any failure refreshing, like a missing file, will stop the workflow at that point and no further operation will run.

Do let us know if there's any further problem, or something doesn't work as expected!

Thanks,
    Victor
  •     ygulla June 23, 2014 12:09PM
    Thanks Victor, I will give it a try and let you know if there are any problems.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged