Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Map view: directed flows origin and destination? - Visokio Forums
Map view: directed flows origin and destination?
  • Pascal     Pascal May 19, 2013 9:48PM
    I would like to plot on a map a city of origin, a city of destination and a quantity of products shipped from one to the other. I attached a sample file (of course, I'll change the cities to their respective coordinates). I tried to use the "connect markers", I don't see how I can do that. Can you help?

PS: I added a screenshot of what I would expect it looks like.
    Attachments
    sample.jpg 17K
    result.jpg 264K
  • 3 Comments
  •     richard May 20, 2013 10:15AM
    Hi Pascal

There are 2 methods for handling this type of data (Connect Markers & Point Overlay Spider Plots).

I have uploaded an example using Connect Markers. This functionality requires that the origin and destination locations use the same 2 fields. We use another field 'Route ID' to model the relationship between origin and destination. This field is then used to join the markers in Connect Markers after de-pivoting the locations.

I have outlined some of the advantages/disadvantages of the 2 approaches for your scenario:

Connect Markers
    - (Advantage) Origins and destination markers/lines will all update when you reload from your data source.
    - (Disadvantage) The dataset must be de-pivoted which might not be desirable for other views and the overall visualisation.

Point Overlay Spider Plots
    - (Advantage) The dataset can remain in its current format
    - (Disadvantage) If the destination locations change then the overlay layer must be manually reloaded and configured. This will be changed in 2.9 to automatically update the overlay layer.

I can model a spider plot version of this if you would like.

Regards

Richard
    Attachments
    example.iok 13K
  • Pascal     Pascal May 20, 2013 2:10PM
    Hi Richard,

It worked perfectly. Thank you for your help!
    No need for the spider, it's not an issue to change the data format.

Cheers,
    Pascal.
  •     paola May 29, 2013 2:09PM
    This is a snapshot from the example file posted above.
    Attachments
    Routing.JPG 159K

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership