Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Mac: Import - Excel formula-calculated decimal values as integers? - Visokio Forums
Mac: Import - Excel formula-calculated decimal values as integers?
  • Barcl February 7, 2013 1:15PM
    I need to read/import an Excel file in which few cells contain decimal numbers calculated using an Excel formula. Omniscope reads/imports the values contained in those cells as if they were integers... not taking into account decimal position? i.e. a value calculated and displayed in Excel as 58096.6 is received/imported as 580966?

Please see the attached Excel file and the Ominscope file that show how different cells are processed. If you type the decimal number in a cell Omniscope read it as a decimal number. If you use a formula in a cell to produce exactly the same value Omniscope believe the cell is an integer and produce wrong result.

Can you please advise on how to solve this issue? I cannot believe Omniscope cannot process calculated value correctly.
    Probably I'm doing something wrong. Thanks
  • 3 Comments
  •     chris February 8, 2013 6:58AM
    Hi,

What version of Omniscope are you using?
  • Barcl February 8, 2013 8:36AM
    Versione: 2.7 b459 (29-gen-2013 1.50.02) r76808
    Java: Apple Inc. 1.6.0_37 arch=64
  •     chris February 8, 2013 10:38AM
    Hi,

Omniscope comes with two ways to read/write Excel data:

- Omniscope reader/writer. The Omniscope reader/writer reads the data directly from the Excel file. It can be used on any installation, regardless of the operating system being used, however it may be unable to read data from some formulas etc, as these often require Excel in order to calculate the value.

- Microsoft reader/writer. This uses Excel directly to read and write the data. This will only work on a PC with Microsoft Windows and Excel installed. The Microsoft reader/writer is much better at reading data than the Omniscope reader.

You are using Mac OS, so therefore Omniscope has no choice other than to use the Omniscope reader. This explains why the data cannot be read properly.

The issue here is very similar to another of your forum posts:

http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/comment/7323/

At the end of this post you stated that you would be producing the files on a Windows machine. This should allow you to use the Omniscope reader/writer, and therefore read the data in correctly.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership