Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Facebook metrics are no longer available - Visokio Forums
Facebook metrics are no longer available
  •     Kiddo29 March 22, 2012 8:18AM
    Hi All,

I've recently started to tweek a iok i created a while back using the facebook API.
    For some reason allot of the metrics i used when initially setting up the iok file using facebook API have gone missing.

Any reason why this has happened?

Two metrics in particular that i'm looking for are 'Fans by Country' & 'Fans by gender' but as i said they are no longer available.

If you could provide any info on how to get them or why they are no longer available that would be great.

Thanks
  • 19 Comments
  •     chris March 22, 2012 9:04AM
    Hi,

Facebook recently changed their API, and as a result we updated the Facebook connector.

The following page lists all of the metrics available in the Facebook API:

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/fql/insights/#page_posts

If there are any metrics missing please let us know. You may find that a metric name has simply been changed.
  •     Kiddo29 March 22, 2012 9:14AM
    Ok great thanks for letting me know.

To be honest there are too many missing for me to list them all but here's a quick screen shot showing the metrics i have available under 'Page users'. As you can see there are quite allot missing. Also missing allot of metrics from other categories too...

One in particular is page_fans_gender_age

Cheers

Attachments
    fb_connector issue.jpg 264K
  •     chris March 22, 2012 9:19AM
    Hi,

Those metrics are available. Change the date period to "Lifetime".
  •     Kiddo29 March 22, 2012 9:23AM
    Perfect - thanks!
  •     Kiddo29 March 22, 2012 10:04AM
    Hi,

Still having a problem. I can see the metrics so i select all of them and i get the attached image.

So no data?

Cheers
    Attachments
    fb_connector issue2.jpg 298K
  •     chris March 22, 2012 10:07AM
    I'm assuming not all of the metrics are compatible. Try selecting a few metrics rather than ALL metrics.
  •     Kiddo29 March 22, 2012 10:11AM
    Even if i select an individual metric for the period 'lifetime' i still get the same results?
  •     Kiddo29 March 22, 2012 10:22AM
    Just tried the same thing on another account to see if the problem was specific to the one i was using and I'm getting the same problem, no data being returned.

Cheers
  •     chris March 22, 2012 10:59AM
    Hi,

I'll investigate this and get back to you.
  •     Kiddo29 March 22, 2012 11:05AM
    Great - if you could let me know how you get on that would be fantastic!

Thanks
  •     Kiddo29 March 23, 2012 6:00AM
    Hey all,

Any news on this yet?

Cheers
  •     chris March 23, 2012 6:59AM
    Hi,

For lifetime Facebook metrics we currently supply a hard-coded end date of the current date. There is a bug in the Facebook API that causes this to return no data. If we set the end date to 2 days ago it appears to work. The best solution to this would be to allow you to specify the end date. The way this would work would be for you to be able to specify a specific date or to specify a dynamic date (xx days/weeks/months ago).

We will look to implement this in the next few days.
  •     Kiddo29 March 23, 2012 7:09AM
    Great - thaks for sorting this out - if you could let me know once you've made the changes that would be great.

Thanks
  •     chris March 23, 2012 12:32PM
    Hi Kiddo,

We've now updated the Facebook connector so that if you select the "lifetime" period you can still select a date range. This is because Facebook returns the lifetime data for your selected metrics up to a specific end date. Previously we were passing in an end date of the current day, which as mentioned earlier resulted in no data. So in order to retrieve the most up-to-date data you need to pass in a date range of "the last 3 days".

The Omniscope Facebook connector currently moves through the date range 1 day at a time, from the beginning of the date range to the end, and retrieves the requested data for that day. So if you select the "lifetime" period and a date range of "the last 2 weeks" you will get 14 rows, each row representing the lifetime data up to that day.

Moving forward I think there are a couple of improvements we can make here. Firstly we need the ability to specify a dynamic start/end date, for example: "start:3 months ago" and "end:1 month ago". Secondly I think we need the ability to specify the "step period". At the moment this is hard-coded to 1 day, so if you select a date range of 3 weeks you will get 21 records, one for each day. It would be nice to specify a date range of "3 weeks" and to select a step of "1 week", meaning you get only 3 records.

Let us know what you think, and if you have any other ideas on this or any other aspect of the Facebook connector.
  •     Kiddo29 March 23, 2012 12:44PM
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for sorting this out at such short notice - really appreciate it.

I'll have ap lay around with the api on monday and let you know if i have any ideas or run into anymore problems.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers

Tim
  •     chris March 23, 2012 12:44PM
    Ok great. The initial set of changes will be in tonights Omniscope 2.7 release (b304). Let us know if you encounter any further problems.
  •     Kiddo29 March 26, 2012 4:59AM
    Hi All,

Just installed the latest version b304 and can't see the changes above in the facebook connector?

Not seeing any custom date range options when i select lifetime.

Cheers
  •     chris March 26, 2012 5:12AM
    Hi,

A new Omniscope release with this functionality is being uploaded to the server. I'll post again when this release is available.
  •     chris March 26, 2012 6:58AM
    Hi,

The latest version of Omniscope has now been uploaded to the server (b305). This version should contain the new functionality.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged