Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Outputs: Custom Executable JAR (2.6) - Visokio Forums
Outputs: Custom Executable JAR (2.6)
  •     steve September 30, 2011 12:50PM
    From Omniscope 2.6, the Custom Executable Jar utility was added to Omniscope, available for users of the Desktop or Server/ServerPlus licenses.

This deployment option allows you to create a standalone free Viewer JAR file with bundled data file, and optionally your own branding in the Viewer (licensing permitting). You can host this JAR file on any web server and provide a link to it. Users will click the link to download it, then open/run the downloaded file. Omniscope will launch and open the bundled file automatically, avoiding any authentication issues which may arise with Web Start/JNLP.

Instructions:
    1. If you wish to re-brand, ensure you have a ServerPlus license and a recent build of 2.6+
    2. Choose Settings > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Create custom JAR
    3. Specify the full path to the IOK file
    4. Optionally, specify the full path to the JAR file. Leave blank for the latest version.
    5. Optionally, provide re-branding customisations. See http://www.visokio.com/kb/rebranding
    6. Specify the full path to the output directory, e.g. your C:\Users\YourName\Desktop
    7. Click OK
    8. Wait for the progress dialogue to complete
    9. Test by double-clicking the JAR. Omniscope Viewer should launch and display the bundled IOK file.

The deployed free Viewer will be identical to Web Start in terms of functionality and you may not be able to rely on whether the operating system chooses to launch Java in 32-bit or 64-bit mode, so be sure to test on your target platforms, especially for larger data files.

Please post back any feedback here.
  • 8 Comments
  •     kmatrix999 October 17, 2011 5:53AM
    I'm new to concept of customised JAR files, but it does seem to have potential to solve a problem with Govt IT departments refusing to allow download of Visokio free view software for my existing users.

So to clarify (and sorry for the basic level of my understanding)- Your example shows a user downloading a JAR file from website etc. Some of my users are also restricted in what they can download, so can I assume that a file could equally be sent via email or, as an alternative, downloaded to a client hard drive folder via an application like Drop Box.

If the original iok file is 1MB, how big will the JAR file be? What prefix will the file have and will this be recognised and allowed through by most email screening software?

Is it really as simple as -convert iok to JAR file- send to client/ client downloads file- client opens file- bingo! or am I missing something.
  •     steve October 17, 2011 6:06AM
    Providing the client has Java 5 or later (usually the case), and you can get a > 20mb file to them, yes.

However attaching (approx) 21mb to an email might be problematic.
  •     kmatrix999 October 17, 2011 11:54AM
    Yes, file size was my big worry. I assume that the jar overhead will be 20MB plus the original file size
  •     OmarKhan February 13, 2012 1:19PM
    Is this funtion avaliable as an action on server plus
  •     steve February 14, 2012 7:07AM
    Yes, from 2.7 b244, available in around 2 1/2 hrs.
  •        benjamin February 14, 2012 8:44AM
    I have clicked on the jar file and it says "could not create java virtual machine"
  • antonio     antonio February 14, 2012 10:28AM
    Benjamin,
    Are you changing the launch_default_mem property into the settings.property file inside the jar file?
    The error you reported may be due to an invalid memory allocation (e.g. you are trying to launch the JVM with 3000 MB but you have only 2GB RAM on you local machine, or even better the default 750 MB setting is too much for your pc).
  • antonio     antonio February 14, 2012 10:42AM
    Benjamin I just sent you a private email

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership