Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
How to connect to an ODBC? - Visokio Forums
How to connect to an ODBC?
  •     elitem August 15, 2011 11:05AM
    Hi, I'm trying to connect to an ODBC datasource. I have done this in Access successfully, but don't know how to do it in Omniscope.
    I'm attached an image of how I did it in Access. Can anyone help? it doesn't look like Omniscope is giving me a similar path to connect to a file...

Thanks
    Elite
  • 7 Comments
  •     steve August 15, 2011 12:07PM
    Why are you trying to use ODBC? What kind of database are you connecting to?

Let's say you're connecting to SQL Server. You should use the SQL Server / jTDS option as seen in your screenshot.

If you must connect via ODBC, which isn't as efficient or reliable, you should change the "Select database" option in Omniscope to "ODBC".
  •     elitem August 16, 2011 11:59AM
    Thanks Steve - I'll get the details from our IT team and hopefully they'll be able to sort it out for me
    Elite
  •     elitem August 17, 2011 11:52AM
    Actually Steve, I do have another question - now I've managed to connect directly to the SQL database!

If I edit data within the Omniscope file, will this change be updated into the SQL database?

Thanks
    Elite
  •     steve August 17, 2011 12:19PM
    No. Writes back to a database are complex, since most database systems have multiple tables and various constraints on the data, whereas Omniscope shows a single flattened view of those tables.

To arrange this, you should either use the "Database table" output block in DataManager, or the equivalent in the File > Export menu. This will upload all your data to a new database table. Or, export/email the data in CSV. You will need a system for checking and migrating your uploaded/emailed changes back into the database.
  •     elitem August 17, 2011 12:26PM
    Good news, I don't want anything I do in omniscope to cause any data to change in the original database... thanks again Steve!
  • JorgenP February 2, 2012 9:55AM
    Hi Steve
    I have a similar problem/issue.
    I am getting my data from access to omniscope. If I connect through access, is that the fastet way of sending data through? Everybody is mention ODBC, but I dont know the different between these two, or if there is on?

As fare as I can see, everything that is uploaded in my access file, will be uploaded in my database table as soon as I have pressed update.
  •     tjbate February 3, 2012 10:46AM
    Jorgen - Access databases are easier to work with than other databases because you can get a portable copy as a file, usually an .mdb or .accdb file.

In Omniscope, open your DataManager workspace and change the left sidebar view from the Blocks tab to the Bookmarks tab. Now drag a copy of your Access .mbd file onto the Bookmarks section on the left of the workspace. This will open the Access database file as a 'tree' and show you which tables and which reporting views have already been configured inside the file. Often, the best source to use is a view in the file rather than a Table. From the Bookmark section, drag each view or table across onto the main data flow workspace and preview to inspect. Dragging and dropping a view or a table from the Bookmark section should establish the best connection in the source block.

As of version 2.7, Omniscope has its own Access driver and you can import data into Omniscope from Access without having Access installed on the same machine.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged