Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Version 2.7: Dual Axis charts added - Visokio Forums
Version 2.7: Dual Axis charts added
  •     tjbate August 8, 2011 7:31AM
    Discussion of new dual-axis line bar features being added to version 2.7 alpha
  • 17 Comments
  •     steve August 8, 2011 8:27AM
    Please note, beta partners are welcome to explore dual-axis charts in 2.7, but are advised not to use these for reporting, since saved configurations will be lost when dual-axis charts graduate in a future version.
  • jforero     jforero August 9, 2011 7:04PM
    Thanks Steve, If I want to suggest or comments features of this dual view, should I write here?
  •     steve August 10, 2011 5:37AM
    Sure. Anything specific to the bar & line view developments in 2.7 should go here.

Please also be aware that the current behaviour of the experimental views will change and currently has some new behaviours we have decided to remove or change.
  •     tamsinw September 5, 2011 8:54AM
    Hi
    I have just downloaded 2.7 build 30 and been having a good play with the experimental features - I have to say the new bar and line views are looking fantastic, the ability to do dual axis charts and plot lots of measures on one line chart is great. Moreover, radar views will be very useful.

I have just a couple tweaks (and it may be that i am just not finding the option to turn on) but firstly I love having a scale on bar charts - but whilst i can see my numbers i cannot seem to find an option to actually display the scale line itself (and this is the same on the line graph) - would it be possible to select show line?

Secondly, my charts consist of percentages but the scale is in decimals, is it possible to change the values of a scale in the new bar/line views?

Thirdly, with regard to scale do you think there would be interest in having the ability to set distance between markers, ie every 5% just so you can fix the scale somewhat, in the normal graph view you can choose a max and minimum but this option could help standardise output.

With regard to Radars, i am selecting to show labels but none seem to show up.

Tam

•     steve September 5, 2011 11:07AM
    Tam, thanks for the positive feedback - we're glad you like them.

They're very much unfinished, so please don't rely upon them in your reports; also, at some point any bar3 configurations will just stop working when we replace the old bar view.

You mean a vertical "axis line" (between the numbers and the plot itself)? Sure, it's on the list.

Formatting scale values will reflect the field options where possible, and will probably be further customisable.

By distance between markers, I presume you mean the ability to set the scale line (and label) interval, by entering e.g. 5%, so you get e.g. 0%, 5%, 10%, 15%...
    Currently this is by screen space, but I've noted your request.

The Radar view has a number of controls which are relevant only to the Bar view and shouldn't be available. It also needs more functionality to make it practically useful. We're not planning on focusing on this until early 2.8, though.
  •     tamsinw September 5, 2011 12:44PM
    Excellent - thanks Steve, I have taken heed of the very much experimental note to the new views so not relying on them in reports but i cant help but be excited re the bar/line views though as it will help in our dashboarding a lot and they are already looking really good visually.

With regard to your points - yes i mean a vertical axis line so thats cool, also distance between markers again yes i mean so you can say label every 5% etc. It just may help make views consistent.

No problem re the Radar, i thought this seemed to be a much newer addition.

Back to the line/bar charts though, two more things i was wondering:
    - 1. The possibility to do stacked area/ line charts so you could have for example sales split by base and incremental stacked
    - 2. The possibility of having a stacked bar in the dual axis chart, eg a line for sales then a stacked bar for spend by media?

Thanks again

Tam
  •     steve September 7, 2011 9:48AM
    1. If you mean this - http://www.java2s.com/Code/JavaImages/JFreeChartStackedAreaChartDemo.PNG - then no, this will probably not be in 2.7, but maybe a later version.

2. Stacked bars with lines on top should already be possible. If you can't get it to work, post your file here.
  •     tamsinw September 8, 2011 12:30PM
    Hi Steve,

Re no.1 that is what i mean - ok will keep my eye out for it

RE no 2 - I have figured out how to stack vs a line but as you can see from the attached this is causing me issues because the aggregation applies to all fields so you cant aggregate different measures differently, I want to stack spend (thus need to aggregate month and media) vs ad recognition which i want to average across all values in a month so will average whatever data is selected. By aggregating by media it is averaging the values within a media then averaging these resulting figures, thus if i select a single media then the figures are correct but for more than one it is wrong. I'm probably doing something stupid but I couldnt figure it out!

Moreover, with regard to colouring I can make it colour the stacks differently but then this colours my lines the same colour - I cant find an option that will colour by measure/stack! also the line no longer show in the key when i have it coloured by stack

Thanks

Tam
    Attachments
    Stacked bar vs line.iok 456K
  •     steve September 9, 2011 1:52AM
    Tam,

Am I right that I can simplify your issue and say you want lines from the bottom chart and bars from the top chart?

The colour issue would be resolved by changing Tools > Colour > Auto. This colours every line/bar/marker and includes a key for it. However there is currently a bug with this where it includes a colour key entry for every X axis position, which renders the key unusable. So, hold out for this to be fixed in a couple of weeks or so.

Steve
  •     steve September 9, 2011 2:00AM
    You can also choose Tools > Colour > By measure. You won't get colours for each media platform, but will still see labels.

I'm not sure you have either lines correct in this file. Review your Aggregation settings - specifically the "sum/mean" choices - and compare with the measure drop-down sum/mean choices.

In the top view, you are showing the mean of means for both lines. In the bottom view, you are showing the sum of means. Shouldn't you have sum of sums, in which case the totals will be correct irrespective of aggregation? This yields identical lines in both views.
  •     tamsinw September 13, 2011 4:22AM
    Hi Steve,

Firstly re the colours I will await this bug fix.

Secondly re my chart - yes - basically I want the stacked bars vs the line from the top charts.

When you aggregate the choice you make in the aggregation seems to override the calculation in the values bit making what is chosen here redundant (this has always confused me), so even though aggregation in the bottom chart is means for the data chosen and in values selected it says sum even if i change the sum to mean nothing changes. The reason I need them to be means and not sum of sums, which as you say would give the correct answer as the calculation wouldnt affect it, is because they are awareness figures and so would never be above 100%, thus I need to average them across the data, this is why when averaging by month and media gives the wrong calculation - rather than average of a, b, c and d if and a and b are tv and c and d press its doing (average of a and b), (average of c and d) and then average of these two figures. I supppose this is a bit of an anomaly wanting to aggregate the lines/bars differently but it was worth raising.

Thanks

Tam
  •     steve September 13, 2011 6:16AM
    Tamsin,

I've just realised that you are aggregating when you probably don't need to. Why are you aggregating the views?

See attached - this version has a 3rd view (in the middle) in which I've removed aggregation and simplified, while (I think) retaining exactly what you're after.

(I've also converted the style to Analysis, to make it easier for me to work with it, and removed surplus labelling).

By removing the aggregation settings, we allow the Mean to work correctly. Generally, aggregating in the bar view is for exceptionally complex circumstances.

Steve
    Attachments
    Stacked bar vs line.iok 457K
  •     tamsinw September 16, 2011 4:26AM
    Hi Steve,

Excellent - thank you - i think i get into the habit of aggregating in line/graphs when i want to have it calculating formulas for variables because unless you aggregate you cant have this option so then it becomes second nature and you forget sometimes you dont need to.

Thanks again

Tam
  •     tamsinw October 19, 2011 8:34AM
    Hi Steve,
    I just wondered if you had any idea of timelines of when the dual access feature may be moving from the experimental features view to the normal view and thus so we can start using them in reports?
    Many thanks
    tam
  •     steve October 19, 2011 9:59AM
    Very shortly - in the next week or two, we hope.
  •     tamsinw October 28, 2011 6:39AM
    Excellent - great news steve

thanks
    tam
  •     steve December 23, 2011 10:15AM
    Tam,

Since this discussion the Bar/line view has come on a long way. You can now customise the style of measures, show a vertical line, and switch between rounded & unrounded intervals. Some of this requires tonight's build b175.

Also the Bar/line view now replaces the old Bar view; there is no experimental Bar3 view any more. Reports using this view will continue to work in future versions.

Follow status updates here: http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/1077/barline-view-status
    Download latest daily build here: www.visokio.com/gala

Steve
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged