Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
File security: Is it possible to lock view? - Visokio Forums
File security: Is it possible to lock view?
  •     elitem June 28, 2011 7:48AM
    Hi there. We've created an "owner locked" version, and I can see it is still possible for a user to change the view's measurements and splits etc.?

Thanks, Elite
  • 8 Comments
  •     tjbate June 28, 2011 10:09AM
    Elite - some Publishers want free Viewer users to have some limited number of field choices on the drop-downs. During template file configuration, the Owner/Publisher should hide all inappropriate or otherwise distracting fields from all drop-down user menus. This is done using the very small blue spanner/wrench tool available on each drop-down, plus the Sidebar Devices drop-down listing, paning menus, etc.

On each Tab, start with the Sidebar top-level Devices drop-down listing showing which filter devices to display on the Sidebar. Click on the tiny blue spanner/wrench on the Devices drop-down (not the larger spanner/wrench to the right/above on the Devices Toolbar) and you will see fields/columns displaying the default SHOW. For fields that you do not want users to see, toggle this setting to hide/off (eliminate the blue). If you want to quickly eliminate this field from all users menus on all views on this specific Tab, choose the ALL option next to it. This is currently a tab-by-tab and, for finer view-level adjustments, a menu-by-menu process.

Once the file has been owner-locked for publishing, free Viewer users should not be able to reveal any owner-hidden field options.
  •     steve June 28, 2011 1:23PM
    Note that the main aim of "owner locking" is to prevent save or export of protected data. It doesn't aim to restrict what you can explore in the file, but it prevents that information from being extracted (other than visually).
  •     elitem June 29, 2011 4:12AM
    Lovely, thanking you both
  • Kefsid September 26, 2011 4:51PM
    Hi there,

I have same problem, in our company there is no such a thing as "viewer". everybody can create their own report and can view every report made by someoneelse and change/save them..
    I dont want them to change/save my reports. we use 2.7 v39.. Anyway to set restricted access for all users?

Kefsid
  • antonio     antonio September 27, 2011 5:50AM
    Hi Kedsid,

If you want to set restricted access for all users go to File -> File Security -> "Password protect file".
    Else if you tick File-> File Security -> "Owner-locked" this option will lock the file, so that only you can save update, export data and change security settings. It allows only the license that created the file to open it in unrestricted mode. All others users will be able to print but will not be permitted to copy and paste or export data, regardless of their license capabilities.

Regards
  • Kefsid September 27, 2011 11:04AM
    Thank you very much Antonio..

Kefsid
  • johnmac January 19, 2012 8:24AM
    Hi,

If I'm in a file and I'm making amendments to the data how can I lock (stop anyone else making changes) this to stop anyone else going in at the same time and making there amendments, this happened yesterday and one of us (me) lost my changes, I then had to go back in redo them

Thanks
    John
  •     tjbate January 19, 2012 9:44AM
    John - Omniscope IOK files are files like any others and do not currently detect/alert when two or more activated Omniscopes have the same file open simultaneously. If you must share editing responsibilities for a file with other activated Omniscopes, you should always first apply owner-locking to the saved copy of the file (then later save your edits and release the locking so others to do the same thing to protect their own edits).

You should also use write-protect as a way of minimising joint-author overwrites and, if you must share ownership of only a few fields in the file, you can write-protect all the other unshared fields on a field-by-field basis to prevent un-authorised edits.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership