Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Connectors: MediaMind-Expanding API scope? - Visokio Forums
Connectors: MediaMind-Expanding API scope?
  • VoteVote Up6Vote Down     tjbate April 30, 2011 10:22AM
    Due to client demand, we have started a discussion of the Omniscope Connector for MediaMind (AKA Eyeblaster). The current MediaMind API is limited in scope, and we would welcome your input into how MediaMind could improve the accessibility of their data via API.

• 40 Comments
  •     gen May 3, 2011 5:41AM
    Hello - I am the MediaMind Sales Engineer for the EMEA region

I have been invited to join these discussions

Thanks, g
  •     chris June 10, 2011 10:08AM
    Hi - We are about to begin work on the Omniscope media mind connector. It would be very useful if we could get a brief set of requirements for the connector functionality. For example, if I was describing the requirements for the DoubleClick connector:

- The ability to select the query from: Single Advertiser, Network, Geography...
    - After selecting a query the configuration options that appear in report central are shown.
    - Executing the query will execute and retrieve the report data specified.

We then need to make sure that everything that people want to be able to do can be done with the API in its current form (hopefully Gen will be able to advise on that).

Please provide as much detail as possible, as anything not specified now may not be implemented as part of the 2.6 release.

After we have collected the requirements we envisage it will take us around a week to implement and test the connector. This will obviously depend on the complexity of the connector we need to build.

Thanks, Chris
  •     swallace June 13, 2011 11:30AM
    Hi Chris - It should be pretty similar to the DC connector:

1. Specification of account
    2. Specification of advertiser(s)
    3. Specification of campaign(s) - inc. 'select all' option to automatically include new campaigns when they're added
    4. Date resolution (by day, week, month, etc.)
    5. Date range (custom, rolling, etc.)
    6. Dimension selection
    7. Metric selection

Let me know if you need further info on this.

Thanks, Scott.
  •     chris June 13, 2011 11:49AM
    Hi Scott - In the DoubleClick connector you also need to specify which report you want to download (eg SingleAdvertiser, Network, Geography etc). Does the same sort of thing exist in MediaMind? If so which reports do you want to be able to download?

Thanks, Chris
  •     emy June 14, 2011 6:22AM
    In Mediamind, we also develop and save custom reports which we use regularly to extract our data.

It would be invaluable if we could select and download the custom reports as well.
  •     chris June 14, 2011 6:35AM
    Hi Emy,

How do you see this working in Omniscope? Would you simply choose a custom report from a dropdown list? Would you want to configure any other options?
  •     swallace June 15, 2011 7:46AM
    Hi Chris - There is a set of standard reports that can be downloaded, as well as functionality to create and save custom reports. The standard reports are:

Ad format comparison
    Conversion summary
    Creative summary
    Custom interactions metrics
    Delivery summary by ad
    Delivery summary by placement
    Delivery summary by site
    Detailed video metrics
    Engagement summary
    ROI summary
    Unique metrics summary

When a user selects one of these standard reports the relevant dimensions and metrics are simply populated in the custom report builder, so I'd assume that these standard reports aren't available via the API. This wouldn't be much of an issue as they can be replicated quite easily manually.

Thanks, Scott.
  •     emy June 15, 2011 9:26PM
    Hi Chris - It would be ideal if we could have the ability to select any of the custom reports that we have stored within mediamind via a dropdown list. We have a custom report where there is around 100 fields we use for our computation.

The standard reports should also be made available via a dropdown list as well.

P.S. On a side note, would the media budget related elements by downloadable? I don't see any when checking out the Google Analytics API but I might be missing something.

Thanks, Em
  •     chris June 16, 2011 10:01AM
    Hi thanks for all the info. I've emailed Gen at MediaMind with these requirements to check that everything that's been asked for is feasible, however it appears the API may not be available to use at the moment. I'll keep you posted, and as soon as it is available we'll implement the connector.
  •     chris July 1, 2011 10:13AM
    Hi- Please see attached for a screenshot of the connector. We have been unable to test the connector as we are waiting for an account with some data to be setup for us. Please note the connector is not yet available in the application (its only available internally for now).

Not all of the requirements specified are possible using the API. As such there is no way to select a list of dimensions/metrics and it is not possible to retrieve custom reports. We will implement this functionality if and when it becomes available, but it might be worth talking to MediaMind directly if this is an urgent requirement.
  •     swallace July 7, 2011 5:53AM
    Hi Chris - I've had a quick look at the Connector, and have got a few initial observations:

1. The list of campaigns doesn't change depending on the advertiser selected
    2. It's not possible to select multiple (or all) campaigns for a particular advertiser or agency. Is it possible to update this?
    3. I understand you point above re not being able to select specific dimensions / metrics, however many essential dimensions and metrics seem to be missing, e.g. site name, placement name, ad format, creative description, unique clicks, unique impressions, video plays, expansions, etc.
    4. It's not possible to select the periodicity of the data extract - is it possible to add this?

Please let me know if you need further info.

Thanks

Scott.
  •     chris July 7, 2011 6:29AM
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for the comments. What version of Omniscope are you using?

1. This was fixed yesterday. The fix should be in the latest Omniscope build.
    2. We can add the functionality to select multiple campaigns. If we do we will have to retrieve a separate report for each campaign and append the data together. The API only allows us to retrieve data for a single campaign at a time. Does this sound OK?
    3. There is nothing we can do about the missing dimensions/metrics. Please speak to MediaMind directly about this, if enough people put pressure on them to include this I'm sure it will be done more quickly.
    4. The API only allows us to select the start date and end date. Again please speak to MediaMind about this functionality.

Chris
  •     swallace July 7, 2011 10:41AM
    Thanks Chris - I'll update to the latest build. Re appending reports for different campaigns - this should be fine............and re the missing dimensions and metrics - without these the connector isn't really of much use as many of the dimensions and metrics that we need are missing (and presume this is the case for other users as well). I'll follow up with MediaMind.............

Thanks
  •     chris July 7, 2011 5:20PM
    Hi - In tomorrow's Omniscope 2.6 release you can choose to download data for all campaigns related to a specific advertiser. To do this simply don't select the "Filter campaigns" checkbox.

It also appears that there is quite a bit of additional fields that we can download for the MediaMind report. Although MediaMind don't provide this in the report data, we can request information such as brandID, campaignStartDate, campaignEndDate directly from the MediaMind server. There is still no way to manually select Dimensions/Metrics, but you should see the amount of information in each report increase significantly. We envisage that this functionality will be available at the beginning of next week.
  •     swallace November 28, 2011 4:22AM
    Hi Chris - I've contacted MediaMind and apparently they've released a new version of their API. Do you have a roadmap for development?

Many thanks....Scott.
  •     chris November 28, 2011 4:27AM
    Hi Scott,

We will investigate this over the next few days and if appropriate integrate the new API into Omniscope. We'll let you know the outcome of this work.
  •     swallace November 28, 2011 9:53AM
    Thanks Chris - please let me know if I can help with anything
  •     chris January 9, 2012 4:28AM
    Hi - I've been speaking to MediaMind about this. It doesn't seem like there is a new API. I told them that the key requirements are:

- Metric/Dimension selection
    - Access to custom reports
    - Access to standard reports such as Ad format comparison, creative summary etc

I was told the following:

"As for know the “AnalyticsDataService” does not cover all media mind analytics offering via the platform. we do have plans to extend the API analytics flexibility but I am not sure have accurate timelines for the new version yet."

I will keep chasing them up, but it might be worthwhile speaking to them directly if this is high priority. In the meantime is there anything that we can improve on the current connector given the limitations with the API?
  •     chris January 10, 2012 7:47AM
    Update from MediaMind:

"Unfortunately, we do not have an estimate for additional features for API reporting services. The issue is under discussion at the moment.
    I will update you once the time lines are set."
  •     JamesDutton January 16, 2012 8:41PM
    Chris - I tried using the Mediamind connector yesterday, and found it wasn't very helpful. Very different set of dimensions and measures came back (no customisation possible) than are available in the Mediamind reporting console. So, having read the notes above on the API I reached out to Mediamind on twitter - they told me yesterday that their new API is up and running:

"Hi. Report API for analytics is ready to go. Pls contact your account manager or DM us your details and we will be in touch"

I noticed that the connector doesn't require an API key - so is it working by screenscraping, or actually using the API?

Really hoping this works.. as it'll save us a lot of time in reporting!

Cheers, J
  •     chris January 17, 2012 4:25AM
    Hi James,

Thanks for the email. We are currently using the MediaMind API and not screenscraping. We do use an API key, but we pass this internally.

I suspect the API mentioned is simply the API we are already using. I have emailed MediaMind directly, and you can see my request and the response in the January 9/10 post. It seems that MediaMind are telling people that there is a new API, but it turns out that this is not actually the case. I know this has caused some frustration to several Omniscope users.

We are keen to improve the MediaMind connector, and as soon as there is a new API we will implement it. Until then please continue to put pressure on MediaMind to make these changes.

Chris
  • alexandervolk     alexandervolk February 9, 2012 10:29AM
    Has anyone else had the problem of the MediaMind connector returning an error message about exceeding the limit of 1000 API calls/day?

I'm not querying a lot of data, but it seems that the connector generates more API calls than necessary?
  •     chris February 9, 2012 10:36AM
    Hi Alexander,

I've not heard of anyone reporting this problem before. This is something we probably need to speak to MediaMind about directly to determine why this is occurring. I've sent you a private email so we can get to the bottom of this problem.

Chris
  •     chris February 9, 2012 11:08AM
    I emailed MediaMind and asked them about the limit. Apparently the limit of 1000 API calls/day applies to Omniscope as a whole rather than a single username/password. This is something we were not aware of.

I have asked MediaMind to increase our allowance to 5000 calls per day for the time-being.

Please let us know if you see this message again and we can ask MediaMind to increase the limit further.
  • alexandervolk     alexandervolk February 13, 2012 9:53AM
    While we're on the subject of MediaMind, is there a way to make the advertiser pulldown menu selection optional in order to query all advertisers at once, just like with the campaign menu?

Is this something that should be requested from MediaMind?
  •     chris February 22, 2012 6:09AM
    Hi - We have now added the ability to filter by advertiser and/or campaign in the MediaMind connector.

After selecting an agency you can now choose to filter by advertiser only, campaign only, advertiser and campaign or none.

This functionality will be available in tonight's Omniscope 2.7 release.

Please let us know if you encounter any problems using this functionality, or have any further suggestions for improving the connector.
  • alexandervolk     alexandervolk June 13, 2012 5:04AM
    Hi Chris,

is there any possibility to have a field selection in the MediaMind connector as well? Currently it delivers a fixed set of fields of which only a third carries useful data. Which fields does the connector receive through Mediamind's API and are you omitting any fields in the current output?

Thanks
    Alex
  •     chris June 13, 2012 6:49AM
    Hi Alex - Thanks for the question. As far as we are aware we are currently pulling in all available fields from the MediaMind report. We are not omitting any fields.

The best solution here would be to put pressure on MediaMind to add the ability to select which fields you want in your report. We have spoken to them several times, and as mentioned earlier in this forum this issue was "Under discussion".

We know how many people are interested in the MediaMind connector, and as soon as MediaMind update their API we will try and integrate their changes.
  • alexandervolk     alexandervolk June 14, 2012 11:08AM
    This just in from MediaMind's integrations team:

"We familiar with the needs to extend the API reporting offering but currently we don’t have timelines for it."
  •     chris October 16, 2012 12:25PM
    Hi - This is the latest from MediaMind:

"We are working on extending the list of metrics that is provided via reporting API, now the project is at the development stage therefore we cannot commit to any accurate dates.

I hope that within a few months we would be able to offer custom solutions for Omiscope integration."
  •     chris January 24, 2013 9:53AM
    Hi,

I've had a discussion with MediaMind today. It doesn't look like the API will be extended any time soon. They currently do not have any plans to extend the API, so unfortunately at this time we are unable to enhance the MediaMind connector.
  •     chris March 12, 2013 9:44AM
    We have now added the Ad and Placement names to the MediaMind connector in Omniscope 2.8 Unfortunately the API doesn't allow us to add the Site name at the moment, we are in communication with MediaMind and hope they will provide us with a solution to this.
  •     cgamolo March 21, 2013 3:39PM
    Hi Chris,
    Has there been any feedback from MediaMind on providing periodicity (by date, by week, by month) breakdown, by creative breakdown, or the ability to choose conversion tags or choose video quartile metrics?
  •     chris March 22, 2013 5:23AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the question. I'll email MediaMind and ask them. I'll post back once I have a response.
  •     chris March 22, 2013 7:43AM
    Hi MediaMind have told us that they are releasing a new version of their API with custom reporting capabilities. They have asked us to provide a summary of the required metrics and filtering options that you would like to see in the new reporting functions.

Please let us know and we will feed this back to MediaMind.
  •     chris March 22, 2013 7:55AM
    Hi,

Having a look through this forum I can summarise the current requirements as:

Metrics:

Ideally the API should allow us to select ALL metrics available online, however the following metrics have been specifically asked for:

Site name, placement name, ad format, creative description, unique clicks, unique impressions, video plays, expansions, conversion tags, video quartile.

Filters:

Periodicity (by day, week, month etc).
    Creative

Other:

Select/download custom reports.
    Select pre-configured reports (eg. Ad format comparison, creative summary).

Please let us know if there's anything else.

•     cgamolo March 22, 2013 1:13PM
    I would also add being able to select post view vs. post click conversion tracking.
  • Milton Milton April 1, 2013 9:03AM
    I attached the list of metrics we require for the API in Omniscope MediaMind,
  •     chris October 30, 2013 7:23AM
    Hi,

We have now added a new "Dynamic" report to the MediaMind connector in Omniscope 2.9 (b578+).

The "Dynamic" report can be selected in the Report type drop-down. Once selected you can select your metrics and group by level(s) from the appropriate drop-downs. This update addresses one of the key problems with the old connector, in that it allows users to choose which metrics/dimensions they want to use instead of being constrained by the pre-defined list in the Standard report.

Please let us know if you have any questions or encounter any problems using this functionality.

Chris
  •     chris November 25, 2013 7:07AM
    Hi,

We have made a few changes to the "Dynamic" MediaMind report:

• We have removed the "Data level" option.
    • We have added a "Resolution" option. You can now select either "Daily" or "Total" resolution.
    • We have fixed a bug where, if more than one advertiser is selected no data is returned.

All of these changes will be in tonight's Omniscope 2.9 release (b664). Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards

Chris

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership