Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Filter type 'text search': Substring / word prefix - missing functionality in drop-down field - Visokio Forums
Filter type 'text search': Substring / word prefix - missing functionality in drop-down field
  • VoteVote Up1Vote Down     dvo_D February 22, 2011 9:11AM
    Title selection within Magazines: If I type 'geo' I'd like to select an entry eg. "Geo" OR "Geolino" OR "GEOlino extra".
    Unfortunately the entry "Geo" is not offered in the dorp-down any more, perhaps because the full name is typed. -> ?

By drop-down selction of "Geo" (typed: only "ge") the values of "Geo Special" and many other titles with "geo" are included as well. -> Not good, wrong circulation result, not really useful...

I know that search type 'exact' would work fine but there are many cases in which 'substring' type could help if the exact syntax is not known by the user. - Examples: "The Trucker" -> type 'truck', "Der Spiegel" or "Spiegel, Der" -> type 'spiegel'.

==> Is it possible to upgrade the filter? - Selection in drop-down should lead to the EXACT spelling of the offered entry.
    And the drop-down should offer the typed substring as well, even if the entry's full name is typed in.

For better understanding: see attached screenshot.
  • 7 Comments
  •     steve February 22, 2011 12:04PM
    The auto-complete functionality is only designed for use with individual words, or if using phrases, for individual phrases when in Exact mode.

For the Der Spiegel example, try typing:
    "Der Spiegel" "Spiegel, Der"
    and choosing "Show text tools" from the device menu, and clicking "All" to change it to "Any". You can also enable Exact matching to rule out matches on "Der Spiegel Xyz".
  •     dvo_D February 22, 2011 1:14PM
    Hi Steve,
    thank you for reply.
    My example of "spiegel" should just clarify why I'd like to use the search type 'substring'. - By the way: I can choose 'show text tools' but there is no option to choose 'all' or 'any'. ->?

The main question in my post was, if the usual and intuitive functionality of drop-down-menus will be possible in future:
    - search by substring (e.g. 'geo'),
    - select from drop-down (e.g. "Geo"),
    - get corresponding data for exact selection (e.g. "Geo" only, not "Geo special" or "St.Georg").

And what I wanted to carp furthermore:
    If I type in 'geo' the explicit entry "Geo" is not selectable from drop-down, because not offered there. Indeed it is if just 'ge' ist typed in. - Unfortunately there are hundreds of entries with substring 'ge' in there...

I hope this might clarify my concern. ;o)

Best
    Dirk
  •     steve February 23, 2011 7:42AM
    "All" or "Any" option only appears after both:
    1. choosing "Show text tools"
    2. entering a multi-word search.
    We're thinking about removing the 2nd criteria.

Why is "Geo" not selectable? If it is present in the data as a cell value, it should be available.

Doesn't "Exact" (after showing Text Tools) allow you to search for "Geo" only?

Can you post your IOK file here? This would help us discuss these issues.
  •     dvo_D February 23, 2011 12:33PM
    ALL/ANY: I understand + found, Thank you.

Non-selectability of "Geo" seems to be caused of my machine; on 64bit machine the drop-down offers "Geo" if 'geo' is typed in the search field.

Switch over to "exact" after search by "substring" gives the right, corresponding data collection.
    But it seems to be more comfortable to search by substring (or word prefix or what ever is defined), and if the user then finds the desired entry in the drop-down, the selection will take the EXACT entry. - Maybe as an option to configure the search individually.
    For the intended use of this project, substring search with drop-down is really very helpful, permanent switch over between "substring" and "exact" would demotivate a little...
    ==> It would be great if the intuitive search (as posted above) will be considered in later builds (-> Ideas Forum?).

Our iok file is temporarily a little huge (nearly 8 MB) to be posted. - We'll reduce the data and if still desired we will attach it here next week.
  •     steve February 24, 2011 4:32AM
    We are considering an alternative solution involving the "list of checkboxes" query device style with a "search" box and without any limit on the number of categories. I think this would suit you better. I have reclassified this as an Idea; please vote.
  •     michael February 25, 2011 2:02PM
    Since build 2.6 b539 look-up drop down list for search types "Word prefix", "Exact" and "Regular expression" will be the same as for "Substring".
  •     steve February 27, 2011 3:13AM
    To clarify, the text search filter's "search type" setting now only affects how the filter is *applied*. Whereas the filter's auto-complete drop-down always shows values matching what you've typed using substring.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership