Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Formula field: % of adjusted total - Visokio Forums
Formula field: % of adjusted total
  •     filippobe February 22, 2011 6:42AM
    Hi,

I need your help with a formula.
    I've a dataset of securities with two fields: Security ID and Pricing status (currently priced, matured, unpriced...).
    I aggregated by the Pricing status and I created a formula field (N. of securites) to count how many Security ID there are for each pricing status category.
    I created an other formula field to express the number of security for each pricing status category as % of the total: =(N. of securities/ALLRECORDCOUNT).
    Now I selected only some pricing status categories with a query and I need to count all the record in this subset.
    Which is the formula to count all the record in a subset (adjusted total or subtotal)?
    After that, how can I express the number of securities for each pricing status category as % of this adjusted total?
    Could anyone please help me?
    Thanks

Filippo
  • 5 Comments
  •     steve February 23, 2011 7:24AM
    Please could you post a sample IOK here and we'll take a look.
  •     filippobe February 23, 2011 8:32AM
    Please find attached sample IOK.

As I selected only 4 pricing status categories, the number of records ("adjusted total") is 35.
    What I would like to do is to add a new formula field, that shows the number of securities for these 4 categories (Currently priced, Removed, Should be able to evaluate, Unpriced) as % of the adjusted total.
    I hope now is clear

Thank you
    Attachments
    Sec1.iok 7K
  •     steve February 24, 2011 7:04AM
    Ok, so in this file, for Unpriced, you want to see 13/35 = 37%, etc.?

See attached file. I have added an unaggregated table view to show you what's going on.

I've changed "N. securities" to have the formula "1". This simply means "put 1 in every record". I've changed the aggregation settings to use Sum, instead of Formula Result. This is just an alternative, easier way of getting the record count.

You can't use ALLRECORDCOUNT - this yields the number of records in all data (52). You can't use RECORDCOUNT - this yields the number of records in the aggregated view (4). There is no function yet to get the unaggregated record count.

So I've changed "% of total" to have the formula:
    [N. of securities] / SUBSET_SUM([N. of securities])
    and made sure the aggregation setting for this field uses Formula Result. This has the desired effect.
    Attachments
    Sec1b.iok 7K
  •     filippobe February 25, 2011 9:20AM
    Thanks Steve.

At this point I am wondering which is the best solution to count the records with the aggregation.
    N. of records = RECORDCOUNT SUBSET (with mean) or simply "1" (with sum)?

I mean in term of performance and suppleness as basis for other formula fields/calculation.
  •     steve February 25, 2011 9:46AM
    The quickest in terms of performance would be to use "Record count" in the aggregation submenu. But there's very little in it.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership