Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
DataManager: Parameterising Bookmarks tab? - Visokio Forums
DataManager: Parameterising Bookmarks tab?
  • VoteVote Up4Vote Down        benjamin February 14, 2011 8:09AM
    Hi - Is it possible in DataManager to add a level of indirection in the bookmarks function?

i.e To enable bookmarks to be created then in the data block just to reference the name of the bookmark (and then the bookmark references the database)

Currently as far i am aware the only functionality of the bookmark is that you can drag the bookmark across and thus do not have to repeatedly set up frequently used databases.

The purpose is that it would enable me to change the database the bookmark references and not have to change the individual data blocks within each Omniscope if the DBs change the name/locations of the database/server.
  • 4 Comments
  •     steve February 14, 2011 10:12AM
    Benjamin,

This isn't currently possible. The bookmarks just allows you to (1) save bookmarks of frequently used data source configurations, such as databases or OLAP servers, and (2) create bookmarks of database servers, which you can expand to explore the lists of tables.

This is a good idea, though. It probably requires a related future direction of bookmarks - to allow you to have shared bookmarks (an XML file on a network resource) in addition to the existing "personal bookmarks" (which are in the user profile).

I have reclassified this as an Idea. Please vote on it.

Summary of idea:

A new type of data source block which has a reference to a (parametrised) bookmark name and imports from whatever data source is configured in that bookmark. This allows you to centrally relocate database servers without breaking DataManager models, for example.
  •     earheart September 25, 2012 1:39PM
    I am in the process of scripting a logon script that will copy a centralized copy of the bookmarks folder in for each user. This does not allow for individual favs, but it is better than nothing.
  •     tjbate September 25, 2012 1:58PM
    Stephen: Some work is being done to parametrise bookmarks as part of making it easier to launch (from third party apps/batch files) empty IOK template files to be populated from database sources which are parametric as to full path/address, table names, import filters to be applied and full SQL statement to use...

See discussion evolving here:
    http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/1376

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged