Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
averages - Visokio Forums
averages
  • Harry_BLM January 6, 2011 4:17PM
    Hello

I have a series of values and just want the average of these values - but when I try to do this in the Pivot view using Mean the results of the overall mean appear to be the mean of the mean rather than the average

Hope this makes sense - I just want the average of a series of values which are hotels listed by quality assessor and their scores as per the attached excel sheet and get an overall result of 887.29 as the average
    Attachments
    Book1.xls 44K
  • 6 Comments
  •     steve January 6, 2011 4:42PM
    Harry,

Please see attached file.

In the pivot view you need a category field as the X or Y axis. You then get a row and column for each unique category value in the X and Y axes. I don't think you want this.
    Choose "None" for the X and Y fields and then Value: Grpa, and Value > Function: Mean. You will get a single cell with 887.29.

In the attached file, I show the same value also in the Bar and Table views.
    Attachments
    Book1.iok 12K
  • Harry_BLM January 7, 2011 2:01PM
    This looks brilliant – and I will say thanks for this
    If you can answer these questions as well I will really be happy

Can I just check

1. The mean against each assessor name is their own mean
    2. It isn't possible to manulaly add these up and then divide by 4 because this is then finding an average of 4 averages
    3. But the final overall mean is the mean value for all records – in this case 273
    4. How did you get the mean to show in the table view please AND the BAR view
  •     steve January 7, 2011 4:52PM
    1. Omniscope takes all records where "Assessor name" equals e.g. "AR", and works out the mean of all non-null "Grpa" values.
    2. The overall mean is NOT the mean of the values shown in the pivot view. Instead, Omniscope takes ALL underlying records (as seen in the table view) and works out the mean of all non-null "Grpa" values.
    3. 273? I see 887.29 everywhere...
    4. In the table view: Group > Show overall summary row; then right-click Grpa > Grouping value function > Mean
    In the bar view: Value > Grpa; then Value > Grpa > arrow icon to open submenu > Mean. If you switch to Main toolbar > Style > Paper report, you'll see the overall mean again in the data titles for the bar view.
  •     Maty January 26, 2012 4:17PM
    Hi Steve!
    I have used Harry's example to illustrate my question. Please see the file attached. The two bar views are the solutions I need for my own example, with one exception, I want these two pictures combined in one bar view (since the height of the bars is not comparable). I don’t think it is possible, is this correct? Content view would be the only reasonable solution?

Thanks, Matylda
    Attachments
    Book1_changed.iok 14K
  •     steve January 27, 2012 6:38AM
    You appear to be taking the SUM of Grpa for each Accessor. You then want the MEAN of those 4 Accessor SUMs.

If you're sure you want MEAN of SUMs, yes, this can be done in one view.

Take the view in the middle, with the single blue bar. I'd maximise it if needed using the tiny icon top-right of the view.

Since you've aggregated by "Accessor", it's as if you've imported a 4-row table into the Bar view containing the sums for each Accessor.

Split by Accessor. You'll get 4 bars, the same as in your other bar view. Although your measure is set to Mean, each bar represents a single aggregated record, so mean/sum makes no difference (yet).

In the Split menu, click the little drop-down for "Accessor name" to the right of "Fit to screen". Choose "Include total/summary value 'All'". You can choose to rename this if needed to "Mean", for example.

See attached.
    Attachments
    Book1_changed2.iok 14K
  •     Maty January 27, 2012 11:11AM
    Yes, this is correct, I need the mean of sums and this looks brilliant, thanks Steve!

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership