Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Tabs based on a central iok template - Visokio Forums
Tabs based on a central iok template
  • VoteVote Up7Vote Down     acm November 25, 2010 8:28PM
    We developed a single Omniscope dashboard, the central template.
    Multiple people within the organisation make use of the template, but all a bit different.

Example:
    - Template has tabs 1,2 and 3
    - All users use tabs 1,2 and 3
    - User X uses a customised tab in addition only for him (tab 4)
    - User Y uses a customised tab in addition only for him (tab 5)
    - All other users only use tabs 1, 2 and 3

As far as I know this requires three different iok files.
    Now, when we need to change tab 1, we need to make this change in all files.

Is it possible, or can it be developed, that subfiles make use of tabs from a central Omniscope template?
    Changes to the template will then be inherited automatically by all subfiles.

Thanks
  • 16 Comments
  •     steve November 26, 2010 9:26AM
    Please clarify - you only mean different tabs for different "workspaces" (views / configurations)? And not tabs for different datasets?
  •     acm November 26, 2010 9:36AM
    All files use the same dataset as a source. In case a user requires an additional tab on the central template, we need to create a different iok file for this user only (let's say "xyz.iok").
    No problem so far. But in case a tab on the central template needs to be changed, we also need to make this change in xyz.iok as this file uses the same tabs as the central template.
    When this is only one user, it is not a big deal. But when we have to do this for 10 or 50 users (read files) it becomes very inefficient.

What would be useful is that the tabs in xyz.iok inherit the changes made in the central template.

Not sure what you mean with workspaces though
  •     steve November 26, 2010 10:51AM
    By "workspaces" I mean you define 3 common tabs, then users add their own "workspaces", i.e. views, filters. Just tabs as you know them, really.
  •     steve November 26, 2010 10:51AM
    This sounds like a pretty useful feature - we'll consider it for 2.7+.
  •     acm November 26, 2010 12:29PM
    I see what you mean.
    Users adding tabs or workspaces implies users have at least a Pro. For Viewer users this is not an option of course and must we do it automatically by setting up subtemplates based on a central and customised with additional tabs per used.

Would be great to have that in 2.7

Do you have an estimation of when 2.7 will be available as alpha?
  •     steve November 29, 2010 3:53PM
    2011. I can't be more accurate, I'm afraid.
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert December 13, 2010 5:30PM
    We would be very interested in this... or even the ability to control tabs in output from DM and/or Enterprise editions i.e.
    1. Data Manager - conditionally hide/remove tabs in output block, by user/field value in template control file
    2. Enterprise - actions to hide/remove tabs
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert
  •     steve January 3, 2011 1:39PM
    Summary of this idea:

Allow you to import and export tabs, for migrating between IOK files. This would only work for the same data structure (field names and data types).

Allow this through the UI, and through Enterprise automation.
  •     acm January 4, 2011 1:23PM
    Steve, agree. Important though is that a change in the central iok is automatically inherited by the templates that imported the central iok tab
  •     steve January 4, 2011 10:16PM
    This would need to be implemented using Enterprise automation.
  •     emy May 9, 2011 9:29PM
    I'll vote for this feature but not just for the Enterprise but just also I'll go for the copy and insert into new iok file (pretty much like what we can do with Excel worksheets.)
  •     steve May 10, 2011 1:33AM
    Emy, note that Excel worksheets are different data sets, whereas Omniscope tabs are different views upon the same data. So exporting and importing tabs would only exchange the *configuration* of those tabs; the data would not be included, and this would only work if the tabs were compatible with the data structure they were subsequently imported into. Does this fit with what you are after?
  •     steve September 14, 2011 2:03AM
    Summary of this idea:

Allow you to import and export tabs, for migrating between IOK files. This would only work for the same data structure (field names and data types).

Allow this through the UI, and through Enterprise automation.

Perhaps allow copying and pasting tab-sets *with data*, creating the effect of separate data tables using appended data and frozen filters.

Also allow copying and pasting views within & between tabs, and between IOK files (providing the field names are compatible).
  • %5BDeleted+User%5D [Deleted User] December 15, 2011 5:46AM
    Are there any news or changes made in Omniscope for this idea? I think it would be very helpful to be able to create a new tab (within the same datafile) and then be able to copy and paste it into another iok file with the sama data.

•     steve December 15, 2011 6:24AM
    We've been working on this very idea; watch this space.
  •     mustafa January 12, 2012 6:48AM
    This feature has now been implemented. See:

http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/1204/copypaste-settings/p1

This does not include any Enterprise automation or pasting tabs *with data*. If these are required please post a separate Idea.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership