Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Finding Maximum value over aggregated data - Visokio Forums
Finding Maximum value over aggregated data
  •     indranildatta November 5, 2010 11:55AM
    Hi - I have a data table with revenue data for each transaction, along with date etc. I have a requirement where I will have to find the maximum revenue at different levels of aggregation, like monthly and yearly. At the transaction level, I can obviously use SUBSET_MAX, but this function is not re-calculating over grouping (even when I explicitly select the option "Calculate formula field results for group value result". Could you please help? Cheers! Indranil.
    Indranil Datta
    Invizua Limited - www.invizua.com - Dedicated to Media, Marketing Services and Market Research Organisations
    M: +44 7956 470 046 | E: indranil.datta@invizua.com | Skype: indranildatta1 | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/indranildatta | Twitter: @indranildatta

Address: Studio 6, 36-42 New Inn Yard, London EC2A 3EY
  • 2 Comments
  •     tjbate November 5, 2010 12:36PM
    Indranil-Be careful using grouping & aggregation on Date/Time fields. When visualising and calculating with Dates/Time fields, it is often helpful to create duplicate fields like Month and Year which are typed as Text Categories, rather than Dates/Times. You can then easily use Subset functions to calculate derived values over grouped/aggregated time periods.

Given duplicate category fields formatted to display only the week number (w), month name (MMMM) and year (yyyy) of any given Data/Time value, the formula field [Max Revenue by weekly period] could be defined with the following formula:

SUBSET_MAX([Revenue],SUBSET3([Week],[Month],[Year],[Week],[Month],[Year]))

Broken down, this formula means:

SUBSET_MAX( [Revenue], says find the maximum value of the field [Revenue] for each unique combination of all values in these fields:

SUBSET3([Week],[Month],[Year],[Week],[Month],[Year] ) = all unique combinations of Week, Month, and Year in the data set

This will create 4 or more duplicated values per month per year, all the same, all equal to the maximum weekly revenue in that month.

Also be careful when grouping/rolling up in the Table View by say, Month..the default will SUM the individual duplicated values, which is not correct...you must set the Grouping function on the Subset formula field to Mean to see the correct value for a roll-up to monthly.

More information on Subset functions is here: http://www.visokio.com/kb/subset-functions
  •     indranildatta November 5, 2010 2:46PM
    Thanks Tom. This is very helpful. I could achieve the desired effect.
    Indranil Datta
    Invizua Limited - www.invizua.com - Dedicated to Media, Marketing Services and Market Research Organisations
    M: +44 7956 470 046 | E: indranil.datta@invizua.com | Skype: indranildatta1 | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/indranildatta | Twitter: @indranildatta

Address: Studio 6, 36-42 New Inn Yard, London EC2A 3EY
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership