Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Ordering of Categories - Visokio Forums
Ordering of Categories
  •        benjamin November 3, 2010 4:39PM
    Hi

I have created a field which is dependant upon a date time field .The created field i have passed a variable through which the user can change to alter the grouping and thus output of this field. Say between Monthly dates to quarterly datyes .By default the created field is specified as category .However when i plot a bar chart against this split the ordering of the bars for the quarters is ordered logically however the ordeing of the dates is not.I have changed the field to graded and ordered the outputs in search/values options however each time the user changes the inputted variables the ordering is not remembered.

How do i overcome this problem ?

How does omnisocpe order categories at the default level ?
  • 4 Comments
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert November 4, 2010 8:54AM
    Benjamin - you can sort categories manually (look for 'value colouring & ordering' in the context menu from a category field)... but it sounds like you have done that? If you post your file up here I will happily have a look for you...
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert
  •        benjamin November 12, 2010 5:17PM
    Yes i have done that and it still does not work .

My problem is :

I have a field .This field depends on say dates of the year ie Jan,Feb,March ETC.

The field works like this

if(input=1,monthly dates,if(input=2,quarterly,))

Where input is defined by the user on the tab screen and quarterly is just a formulae which turns a date into its retrospective quarter of the year.

Now every time the user changes between input=1 to input=2 and the dates change from Feb,March etc to Q1,Q2,Q3 etc then bar chart ordering is not in the logical ordering ie Q1,Q2,Q3,Q4 and Feb,March,June etc.

Any advice.
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert November 13, 2010 4:04PM
    Benjamin

If you're happy using formulae, then there is a workaround - it's not ideal, but worth considering. If you create a new field e.g. "Ordered Month" with the formula:

TEXTVALUE([Date field],"MM MMMM")

This will convert your dates to month values, formatted like:
    01 January
    02 February
    03 March
    etc.

Omniscope will then order these months as you would expect - the numeric month number will be treated alphanumerically (the standard Omniscope sort) and you will get the result you're after... although you sacrifice a little presentation clarity in the process.
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert
  •        benjamin November 15, 2010 4:29PM
    Thanks

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership