Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
year on year growth rate - Visokio Forums
year on year growth rate
  • xuanzheng November 3, 2010 12:45PM
    Hello,
    A problem comes up when I tried to show a year on year growth rate on omniscope.
    For my case, the sales data of different products are on the monthly basis. I did subset_sum on the product and yearly level, which could produce accurate result when I only select one product. But if I select more than one, the result is the weighted average of each product's growth rate rather than growth rate of the sum of the product sales over the year.
    For example. Product 1, year 1 sales : 5 million kgs, year 2 sales : 6 million kgs
    Product 2, year 1 sales: 4 million kgs, year 2 sales : 7 million kgs
    the correct growth rate should be : [( 6+7)-(5+4)]/(5+4)= 44.4%
    What the omniscope did: [ (6-5)/5 + (7-4)/4 ]/2 = 47.5%
    I tried to apply weight on when showing the growth rate, but it still gets the discrepencies.
    Is there any way to get round this problem.
    Many thanks for the help!
  • 3 Comments
  •     steve November 3, 2010 3:31PM
    You may be able to solve this using SUBSET_SUM(... SUBSET2(...) ...).

See SUBSET2 here: http://www.visokio.com/kb/subset-functions
  • xuanzheng November 4, 2010 11:44AM
    Hi Steve,
    I tried the "subset_sum" function. but it only works when I select one product.
    the layout of my data is
    Country/Product/Month/Year/Sales
    I did "subset_sum(sales, subset3( Country, year, product))", then did the growth calculation. the result is right when only one product is selected, but if more than one product are selected, the growth rate if the weighted average of each individual product's growth rate, which is not the right growth rate.
    I was thinking if I could create a selected/ unselectd option , then subset_sum based on country, year, selected product, but couldn't get my head round ..
    Many thanks in advance
  •     steve November 4, 2010 12:50PM
    Please could you post your file here, and add comments inside the file explaining exactly what you mean. If necessary, use "Whisper" box with "Steve" to make it private to me.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership