Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Multiple columns in pivot table - Visokio Forums
Multiple columns in pivot table
  • VoteVote Up2Vote Down     indranildatta October 11, 2010 2:49PM
    Hi,

I have a requirement where I will have to replicate an excel report into Omniscope. The excel report has a big pivot table with multiple fields both on the row and column side. The pivot table in Omniscope allows me to have only 1 category field in the X and Y axis, so I am not able to use the pivot view. However, I tried using a the group function, which brings me very close to the excel report format, but not exactly. Anybody has had similar experiences and solved it? It would be really good if you could share how you cracked this issue.

Cheers!
    Indranil.
    Indranil Datta
    Invizua Limited - www.invizua.com - Dedicated to Media, Marketing Services and Market Research Organisations
    M: +44 7956 470 046 | E: indranil.datta@invizua.com | Skype: indranildatta1 | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/indranildatta | Twitter: @indranildatta

Address: Studio 6, 36-42 New Inn Yard, London EC2A 3EY
  • 4 Comments
  •     steve October 11, 2010 3:17PM
    The pivot view only supports a single field at present. We're planning on changing this in version 2.7. Until then, the Bar view supports unlimited paning, if you're ok with bars.

Alternatively, you can fake it by using a formula to concatenate text from multiple fields, e.g. "France EUR", "USA USD". If you do this, you might need to force the field to be a category field, rather than text.
  •     indranildatta October 11, 2010 3:40PM
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately this is a text report and the bar view (which is very useful in most of the cases) doesn't work. Also, the concatenation solution does not work because I need to group the data hierarchically and calculate sum and % at each level of grouping. As I mentioned earlier, the grouping function almost works, but not fully.

There are 2 columns, Month and Year, which need to pan across horizontally in the report, again, in a hierarchical grouped fashion. This is done automatically in an Excel pivot table. Is there any way you can suggest to implement this horizontal grouping?

Thanks again,
    Indranil.
    Indranil Datta
    Invizua Limited - www.invizua.com - Dedicated to Media, Marketing Services and Market Research Organisations
    M: +44 7956 470 046 | E: indranil.datta@invizua.com | Skype: indranildatta1 | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/indranildatta | Twitter: @indranildatta

Address: Studio 6, 36-42 New Inn Yard, London EC2A 3EY
  •     steve October 18, 2010 11:09AM
    You may be able to get it to work using a sequence of views - you can add as many pivot views as you want, each with different configurations.

We'll take this case into consideration when we plan out future enhancements to the Pivot view.
  •     steve January 3, 2011 1:19PM
    In a future version we plan to add multi-tier axes (paning) in the Pivot view. This would allow you to set up the same date field in both Year and Month arrangements.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership