Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Barracuda proxy server blocks Visokio DB connections - Visokio Forums
Barracuda proxy server blocks Visokio DB connections
  • lisa.miller October 4, 2010 2:24PM
    We are currently testing a Barracuda internet content filter box on our LAN for a handful of test users. When IE is set to use the Barracuda as its proxy I cannot connect to any databases using Visokio. I have tried a SQL connection and an ODBC connection but both time out. If I remove the proxy settings from within Visokio the problem still exists. The strange thing is that the ODBC connection itself works fine, and I can establish a Telnet connection to the DB server OK from command line. The problem seems to be specific to Visokio. I can only make a successfully DB connection when I remove the IE proxy settings. I have reviewed the Barracuda logs and cannot see any sign of the traffice being logged, let alone blocked.

Can anyone provide any assistance?
  • 4 Comments
  •     steve October 4, 2010 2:33PM
    So you have tried using explicit proxy settings in Omniscope, and no proxy settings in Omniscope? Omniscope might still be using IE's proxy settings.

Try enabling the property "visokio.disableSystemProxies" by editing your installconfig.properties file to contain a line like this:

ADDITIONAL_JVM_ARGS=-Dvisokio.disableSystemProxies=true

Does this work?
  •     steve October 4, 2010 2:34PM
    See also:
    http://www.visokio.com/kb/proxysettings
  • lisa.miller October 4, 2010 2:53PM
    Thanks for your reply Steve. I had tried adding this setting but your post showed my that I had omitted the ADDITIONAL_JVM_ARGS=- prefix. I'd added it to the config file in C:\Program Files\Visokio Omniscope but I then found that this was a remnant of a previous installation that had been done for 'all users' and that the installation the user was using was installed for 'current user'. So I added the setting to the config file under the user's profile area and it worked a treat. I'm still not sure why the Barracuda box is causing this problem but I'm more than happy with this workaround.

Thanks again.
  •     steve October 4, 2010 3:17PM
    Glad to be of help.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership