Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Double read of database blocks - Visokio Forums
Double read of database blocks
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert October 1, 2010 3:13PM
    I'm working against some relatively large databases at present, and have several cases where I want to read from a complex view (which requires quite a bit of computing power to resolve, on the db server) and bring back ~1m rows of data. every time I load this data into an Omniscope block, the data is re-queried from the database - is this an error or by design? An example workflow is:

1. Open a new DataManager
    2. Add a Database block to the work area, next to the default Omniscope block
    3. Configure the Database block to connect to my server (SQL Server, in this case) and define my query
    4. Execute the query and load the data (takes 7-8 mins)

5. Link the Database block to the Omniscope block
    6. Press Load... results in re-query and data load into Database block (another 7-8 mins) and then load the data into the Omniscope block (2-3 mins)

I can't see any reason for this?

Should I be limiting my access to the database by saving off a snapshot after step 4, adding an Input Switch and then using the snapshot until I want to hit the database again? Does this prevent a re-read?
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert
  • 5 Comments
  •     steve October 1, 2010 3:24PM
    I presume you're using a very recent version. In the db block menu, choose "Update options" and set to "Never". This is a workaround - the problem should be fixed in a forthcoming build. It does the refresh twice because when you click Load it essentially does a connect and refresh from source.
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert October 1, 2010 3:26PM
    Super-fast response :) OK, just checked that option and will report back ASAP...

[and yes, using b390]
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert October 1, 2010 3:29PM
    Spot on - works perfectly, and can be overridden when needed with a manual "Update" instruction
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert October 1, 2010 4:32PM
    Any way of automating the Omniscope block load?

I now have this set up with Parameters in my SQL query - as soon as I change the Paramter the Database block starts a re-query (perfect), and the process flows through, but I have to force a manual load of the Omniscope block... is this controllable in XML actions?
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
  •     steve October 1, 2010 6:27PM
    Using XML actions, you open an IOK file, configure parameters as needed, then either execute the publisher blocks, or refresh from source (i.e. re-load).
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership