Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Configure 'advanced' properties of existing tabs - Visokio Forums
Configure 'advanced' properties of existing tabs
  • VoteVote Up0Vote Down Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert September 29, 2010 12:54PM
    When creating a new Tab, it's possible to use the 'advanced' mode to specify 3 options:

1. Query state
    2. View and layout configuration
    3. Variable state

Once the tab is created, however, there is no way (is there?!) to edit these settings. It would be useful to be able to change them - for example, we often want variable state to be shared amongst a number of tabs.
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert
  • 6 Comments
  •     steve September 29, 2010 6:50PM
    Correct. But you can always create a new tab with the desired settings, delete the old, and rename it.
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert October 1, 2010 8:12AM
    Can you duplicate a tab in that way? If so it would be fine... but to rebuild 20-30 tabs takes a lot of time (and its easy to introduce errors on aggregations etc.)
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
  •     steve October 1, 2010 9:44AM
    I don't see how aggregations are affected. For each simple tab "X", you open it then create a new advanced tab "X2" without capturing variable state. Then, delete the old tabs and rename the new.

Advanced tabs are quite complicated to understand so are only useful to our most advanced users. This, and the complexity of developing support for converting simple tabs to/from advanced tabs, means we can't promise this helper feature in the near future.
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert October 1, 2010 3:03PM
    Steve

Fair enough - makes sense.

The challenge I have with aggregations is limited to the 'build' phase of any model... an example:

1. I have a file with 30 fields sourced from raw data sources
    2. I add 10 'obvious' (an the start of the engagement) formulae to the file - I now have 40 fields
    3. I add 10 tabs, each of which has 2-3 views... some of these views require aggregation (by different fields), so I set these up as I go... and in each case I set the correct aggregation type for each field (I used to do this only for the fields used in the view, but have since learned that I should do this for every field, in case I want to switch measure/split etc. at a later point)
    4. In working with the client I am asked to create additional formulae to suit the problem at hand. I do this inside DataExplorer (rather than DataManager) during workshops etc. (when I'm being disciplined, and making time for myself, I will go back and cut/paste/test these from DataExplorer back into DataManager)...

... but these formulae now appear in every aggregation, in every view that uses aggregations, and I need to go back and check/test each one to ensure that the aggregation selected (sum/singleton) makes sense.

When it comes to creating new tabs, as you suggest, I have the same issue to deal with - ensuring that aggregations are correct and that all view settings are as they should be. This is an involved process, and the 'edit advanced' would result in considerably less effort when wanting to refactor a complex model... but if there is little/no demand then I understand your appetite to address it.
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
  •     steve October 1, 2010 3:16PM
    Opening tab X, creating a new advanced no-vars tab X2 from current state, deleting X, and renaming X2 to X, is exactly the same as hypothetically editing X and removing variables from it. There is no impact on setting in views, such as aggregation.
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert October 1, 2010 3:19PM
    OK - thanks. Apologies, I didn't realise I could create from current state but amend advanced settings at the same time... this approach is 99.9% as good as editing advanced properties, so I will be using it immediately. Thanks.
    Atheon Analytics Ltd

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership