Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Merging data and null values - Visokio Forums
Merging data and null values
  • aknotts     aknotts August 16, 2010 12:19PM
    Hi

I have a file with a lot of repeating values in. I create a table and aggregate to get a unique set of data across say 6 fields. Some of the fields may be blank but there will be at least one column with data in. I then export this unique to a new IOK file and add some additional fields to this data. I then want to merge the exported (aggregated) IOK back into the original file to bring this additional data in. How does the merge handle where there are fields with nulls in? An example of the data could be:

Field 1, Field 2, Field 3, Field 4, Field 5, Field 6
    15, Park Road,,London, SW1W 8HY, UK
    The House, Effingham Road, Lower Thames Side,,London,

When the data merges if Field 3 is null will that match with Fields 3 in the full data set?

Thanks

Andy
  • 3 Comments
  •     steve August 16, 2010 1:23PM
    If your join criteria include matching Field 3, then null will match with null, just as much as "abc" will match with "abc".
  • aknotts     aknotts August 16, 2010 5:02PM
    Steve - can you mail me so I can send you a couple of files offline. Have done exactly as above but get duplicates in the dataset! Thanks
  •        mohamed August 24, 2010 12:53PM
    This is an issue introduced by the option "Accent sensitive" being unticked when the default behaviour is to have it ticked, please turn on "Accent sensitive" option in the merge dialog and the merge should work correctly.

We fixed the issue with the "Accent sensitive" option, the fix will be available in tonight's build Omniscope 2.6-alpha b351.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership