Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
% of Total Calcs & Slider Filter(s) - Visokio Forums
% of Total Calcs & Slider Filter(s)
  • checkyourfuel     checkyourfuel March 29, 2010 12:04PM
    Here's a great question from a client which I thought was worth sharing in the Forum:

I need to be able to create a metric in Omniture that would be based on another metric as a % of Total. Here is an example

Let's say the data looks like this:

Month Site Page Views
    Jan-2010 A 600
    Jan-2010 B 400
    Feb-2010 A 800
    Feb-2010 B 200

I need a Page Views % metric which would be Page Views / SUM(Page Views). Then I would have something like this:

Month Site Page Views Page Views %
    Jan-2010 A 600 30%
    Jan-2010 B 400 20%
    Feb-2010 A 800 40%
    Feb-2010 B 200 10%

But if I decide to only show Jan-2010 (by using the sidebar filters) then I should have:

Month Site Page Views Page Views %
    Jan-2010 A 600 60%
    Jan-2010 B 400 40%

Does this make sense? Can you please let me know how I can achieve it with Omniscope?

I address the question in two parts:
    1.) Use a Subset function to get to the % of total
    2.) Filters and formulae are not connected, so it's not possible to achieve part III [of the question above] in Omniscope.

Is that about right? Any/all additional context is welcome.

James
    James Sandoval
    SVP & Managing Director, EMEA
    BrightTag

T: +44 7740 284 164
    E: jsandoval@brighttag.com
    Twitter: @checkyourfuel
  • 3 Comments
  • georgios March 29, 2010 12:30PM
    Hi - I am the client and since there is no formula I could use for part III, here's what I ended up doing in the end:

I created two PVs % formulas. One is based on the month and the other is based on the total. I have then created two tabs, one is reporting on all months using the Total PVs % and the other is reporting on one month (and we can use the slider to change that month) using the Monthly PVs %.

Thanks
    Georgios
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert March 30, 2010 3:08PM
    This is a great case for the ability to specify QUERIES (including the 'internal queries' ALL, IN and OUT) in the SUBSET functions... Steve, interested in your thoughts :)
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert
  •     steve March 31, 2010 8:43AM
    Guy - this has been on the wish list for a while now, but has some significant implementation complexities and performance considerations.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership