Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Change formulae to static values - Visokio Forums
Change formulae to static values
  •     Mees March 25, 2010 9:54AM
    Hi,

For performance reasons I have to transform my formulae to static data.
    The advantage is off course better performance, but the disadvantage is the additional manual work each time the dataset is refreshed in my iok.

Is there a way to schedule these steps so Omniscope takes over these manual tasks?
    1. When refreshing data, change fields to formulae
    2. When data is refreshed, transform to statics again automatically.

Thanks
    Arjan
  • 9 Comments
  •     tjbate March 28, 2010 5:38PM
    Arjan- Yes, the Enterprise Server Edition comes with the Scheduler, an additional program used to automate repetitive tasks. The Scheduler contains many pre-scripted Actions which can be defined in a chronological schedule to create repetitive automated Tasks. In your case, you could keep an empty template file with live formulae, and schedule a Task that would include Refresh from Source, Save in one location, Recalc, and Save as Static Values in another location.That would give you 2 copies of the file (in addition to the empty template) in different locations, one copy with live formulae, and the other with only static values. Note: It is currently not possible to convert only certain selected formulae to static values (e.g. convert only one NOW formula field into a static, record-level 'timestamp' value, leaving the other formulae active).
  •     Mees March 29, 2010 10:16AM
    Thanks Thomas,

I do need some formulaes in my iok due to some Variables fields I use. Is it then possible to use the Scheduler to convert all formulae fields into static data and afterwards let the Scheduler add formulae fields automatically in order for the Variable fields to be used?
  •     tjbate March 29, 2010 7:12PM
    Arjan - Although you cannot convert only selected formulae to static values using the automated Scheduler Action 'Save file with static values', you CAN configure the IOK file such that its history includes changing selected formula fields/columns to static values. Just right-click on the formula field header and chose 'Save as static value'. Saving the whole file with this action recorded in the file history will not only prevent unnecessary re-calcs on tabbing, but whenever the file IS refreshed, all the new data willl be imported, the original formulae re-added AND recalculated, and then again changed back to static values as part of re-applying all the history in the file. Other formulae in the file can remain operable to permit use of variables, and tab-to-tab performance should not be affected since no variables are being changed just by tabbing.
  •     Mees March 29, 2010 9:26PM
    Great thanks
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert March 30, 2010 2:59PM
    It's worth noting that the Data Manager edition (coming as part of 2.6) provides the ability to both create formulae in the 'data build' process, and to output final results into an IOK (or XLS etc.) file, with the option to convert formulae to static values - VERY useful :)
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert
  •     Mees March 30, 2010 7:39PM
    Thanks Guy

Looking forward to use 2.6!!
  •     Mees April 12, 2010 12:41PM
    Thomas, you mentioned above that formulae are re-activated when data is refreshed and converted back tot static when calculations have taken place.
    Does this apply to the Enterprise edition or to the Professional as well? Also v2.5?

Reason I am asking is that I have now refreshed data in an iok file using v2.5 and formulae are not re-activated. Should I save the file in a particular way to have this functionality?
    Thanks, Arjan
  •     Mees May 9, 2010 9:32PM
    Hi guys, any ideas about this?
    Thanks Arjan
  •     tjbate May 11, 2010 7:24PM
    Arjan - The best way to do this depends on what you are trying to achieve by changing formulae to static values on file save (as opposed to just turning off re-calculation). There are several permutations, so may I suggest we start a new discussion on this topic? Perhaps you could start with what you are trying to achieve and which Editions and options you are using?

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership