Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Display: Displaying full 15 decimal place accuracy? - Visokio Forums
Display: Displaying full 15 decimal place accuracy?
  •     acdewinter June 17, 2014 11:05AM
    Hi,

I've run into a serious problem when working with numbers/decimals in Omniscope when pulling the data through SQL Server.

I was a little perplexed when I was dividing a large number by 100 and it kept rounding the output to 1 decimal place instead of two. So I went about making sure I use Convert(decimal) as well as Round to ensure I get both decimals. However it kept only returning the single decimal in a rounded format. I then tried several different data types and still sat with the same problem.

So I decided to run some tests by just doing my own calculations instead of pulling out specific fields (in case this was a DB problem)

A simple calculation of 100/3 which should return 33.3333333 returns only 33. So I converted both numbers to decimal and it returned: 33.33333
    Success!

Then why did I still have a problem?

So then I tested 1000000/3 and low and behold it returns 333333.3 (only one decimal) and no matter what you do to it, it will not return a second decimal or more.

So then I tested 10000000/3 and it returned absolutely no decimals, which then lead me to the conclusion that you are limited to 7 characters when working with decimals in omniscope.

The size of the integer can keep increasing but you can't have decimals when it exceeds 7 character length.

I have attached a screenshot for your viewing to illustrate what I mean.

Please could someone help me with this, as the data I'm working with needs to be accurate to the decimals I specify.

Just incase someone suggests this: using Cast instead of Convert makes no difference, and infact works even less.

Edit:

I see another colleague has brought this up previously around aggregation blocks: http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/2437

It seems even with SQL it does retain the precision and you don't require to run conversions on all the individual parts. I just popped a field organiser on and it seems to work.

Maybe a suggestion going forward would be for you guys to add in a option to use/not use this function on a datasource and an option for the user?
    Attachments
    Capture.PNG 12K
  • 1 Comment
  •     tjbate June 17, 2014 12:39PM
    Adrian - This is a decimal display rounding option issue. Behind the scenes, Omniscope is working at 15 decimal place accuracy. You can override the default decimal display on any field by expanding the field options in Field organiser and under Decimal places, rather than leave a blank, enter 15...

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership