Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Idea: SQL Database output: merge new + changed records? - Visokio Forums
Idea: SQL Database output: merge new + changed records?
  • VoteVote Up2Vote Down     SimonWiggins June 11, 2014 6:59AM
    I couldn't seem to find this as an idea or discussion but apologies if I've missed a post.

I'm looking to update a SQL table daily with new data. Obviously an Append would do this job if the data to be added was always only new data.

The problem comes when some values from previous days have been corrected or updated and these also need pushing to the same database.

I have a solution that compares the last few days data (from the database) with the same number of days from the source and if it's new it Appends, if it's corrected it Updates. The solution is adequate if a bit slow for large data sets as it appears to publish line by line and requires the last few days from the database to be pulled back into the Omniscope process.

My idea/suggestion would be to include another option in the Database output block that uses the Merge command.
    If anyone else has solutions for this that work better please let me know. Not sure if this is possible or even has enough people wanting it?

Thanks,
  • 4 Comments
  •     tjbate June 11, 2014 7:27AM
    Simon

There are related posts to this idea, and some best practise workarounds...see for example this one:

http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/comment/9004/#Comment_9004
  •     SimonWiggins June 11, 2014 7:45AM
    Apologies, thanks for the link.
    I'll have a look at this solution and a better search around then.

Thanks,
  •     tjbate June 11, 2014 7:59AM
    Simon - there is also this common problem...not the same as yours, but the solution may trigger ideas...

http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/comment/8168/#Comment_8168
  •     alec_webliquid March 31, 2015 7:38AM
    Hi Visokio,

Another solution might be simply to allow custom SQL in the database output block, similar to the input blocks. Then users could write their own code to cover any conceivable use case.

Would this be feasible?

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership