Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Integration: Merge/Join on first match only? - Visokio Forums
Integration: Merge/Join on first match only?
  • martins2 January 14, 2014 6:43AM
    I think it might be useful to have an option in the merge/join block to only merge the first match.

Here is what I'm trying to do. I have a field containing a string of text which sometimes contains place names. I wish to match up the place names in this text string with the list of place names in the lookup data built in the data sources. Because it's a string of text I'm using the "contains" criteria in the merge/join block but this means that manchester and chesterfield will match chester. There are many other instances of this happening, too many to sort out manually.

If I sorted the data so that place names which contained other place names were at the top, and then I could merge the first match then I think this would solve this problem. Is this a possibility for future releases?

In the mean time can anyone think of a way round this?

Thanks, Martin
  • 2 Comments
  •     paola January 15, 2014 7:53AM
    Create two branches from your Merge block, leading to two Field Organisers.
    In one preserve the field you wish to de-duplicate and uniqueID field, in the other everything but the field with repetitive values (here Month).
    Use De-duplicate block to get rid of the duplicates in the target field, then merge with other Field organiser on uniqueID field, preserving the non-matching records from the second block.
    See image:image
    Attachments
    De-duplicate.JPG 259K
  • martins2 January 16, 2014 6:39AM
    Hi Paola,

Thanks for the explanation. I will try this on my data set and let you know if any issues.

Thanks
    Martin

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership