Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Idea: Tag View - Exclude words? - Visokio Forums
Idea: Tag View - Exclude words?
  • VoteVote Up1Vote Down DBuzacott December 16, 2013 9:02PM
    Hi,

I'm currently working with some data in the new and improved "Tag view" (which is very nice!). However, I'd like to be able to exclude selected words from this visualisation without removing the entire records.

Attached is a screenshot of an example tag view. This uses a twitter feed in DataManager to look at the tweets from the official Twitter account (@twitter). What we would like to do is be able to exclude some of these words like "http", "https" and the like as they are not relevant to what we're trying to analyse. I have tried selecting these words and moving them out, but this removes the entire line (tweet) rather than just the words selected.

Is it possible to add this functionality? Possibly by allowing users to edit the "common words" list that are ignored (in the menu Fields -> Options -> Ignore common words)?

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Attachments
    Tag view.jpg 448K
  • 4 Comments
  •        daniel December 17, 2013 4:06AM
    You can run search and replace functions on a duplicated copy of that field to replace words with just blanks. You use that amended field to visualise but you retain the original tweet information in the first field.

To build your list of common words, just keep adding terms into the search and replace operation.
  •     chris December 17, 2013 4:26AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the question. Daniel has made a good suggestion here to use the search/replace operation. I can see how the ability to enter a list of ignored words in the Tag view would be useful, so we will look to add this functionality in the next few days. I'll post back once it has been implemented.

On another note the Tag view is also available in Omniscope Mobile (see http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/2428/mobile-tagtile-views-added).

Chris
  •     chris December 17, 2013 12:25PM
    Hi,

We have now added the ability to specify a list of words to ignore in the Tag view. As discussed this option is available in Fields > Options > Custom words to ignore.

This functionality will be available in tonight's Omniscope 2.9 release (b723) in Omniscope desktop and mobile.

Further improvements to this would be the ability to link to a "Words to ignore" file, which could be centrally managed. This would allow you to avoid having to enter a common list of words that were not included in the internal list every time you added a new tag view. Please let us know if this is something that would be useful. Also let us know if you have any other ideas for ways we can improve the Tag view.

Chris
  • DBuzacott December 17, 2013 7:13PM
    Thanks Chris, looking forward to applying this!

Daniel

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged