Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Refresh: Multi-file with central IOK 'datamart'? - Visokio Forums
Refresh: Multi-file with central IOK 'datamart'?
  • Alexander     Alexander September 30, 2013 7:10AM
    Hi All,

Some of our dashboards are using a lot of data. We are looking into the possibilities of using 'datamart' iok files in order to decrease the dataload in the local Omniscope files. If I understand correctly, it works as follows:

1. IOK file that is the server-based datamart file, and has all the source data in it.
    2. Dashboard IOK File, that has the datamart IOK file as its source.

Now I would like to load only the selected data from the 'datamart' file into the local 'dashboard' IOK. For example, I have visits of representatives of all 2013 in my server-based 'datamart' file, but I only want the last 2 weeks refreshed into the local 'dashboard' Omniscope report IOK.

The selection of the data would be done by the end-user and is exactly what I need. Where do I start? Is there an instruction or demo file that I can look into?

Thanks in advance!
  • 8 Comments
  •     tjbate September 30, 2013 7:23AM
    Alexander - this is done using the Parameters tab in the DataManager data bar...have a look at this demo video:

http://tc.visokio.com/videos/?name=ArielCohenUsingParameterPassingAtInvestec&title=Dual-Omniscope+parameter+passing+at+Investec&lang=gb&width=720&height=480

This is an example where local selection is transmitted not only back to a central IOK 'staging' datamart, but even further back to parameterised queries that hit the source repository.

An overview of a typical multi-file reference architecture is attached.
  • Alexander     Alexander September 30, 2013 8:08AM
    HI Thomas, thanks for the rapid response.
    I saw the video and dived in the info you posted. I believe this is not what I meant.

I would like to publish an iok file (dataExplorer) that has no or little data in it. But when the end user makes the desired selection, omniscope retrieves the needed data from the 'datamart' file that is stored on our server. This way only the selected data will be in the local omniscope of the end-user. This will result in lower data load and better performance.

Hope my question is clear,

Regards,
    Alexander
  • Alexander     Alexander September 30, 2013 8:21AM
    Extra info: our end users are using the online viewer.
  •     paola September 30, 2013 8:49AM
    Can you please try to test the setup as suggested in this post, and save both files with ServerPlus license. I cannot guarantee that it will work with Viewer license, but it's checking:
    http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/comment/2188/#Comment_2188
  • Alexander     Alexander September 30, 2013 10:50AM
    What are our possibilities without ServerPlus?
  •     tjbate October 1, 2013 4:34AM
    Alex - The issue is whether you can pre-define the subset of the 'datamart' to be shipped to specific recipients at specific times, or whether the end-users need free choice to define the subset they want 'on-the-fly'.

IF you can centrally pre-define the subset to be delivered every day/week, then the Batch Distribution control file (Server/ServerPlus only) allows you to specify per-report, per-recipient filters that will ship only the required subset of fields/columns and rows/records to each recipient in a totally automated refresh/filter and delivery process. If you have ServerPlus, you can refine this to automate live refresh of only the pre-defined subset direct to the user's desktop. If you have only a legacy Server Edition, you will need to automatically deliver a new copy of the file containing only the most recent subset drawn from the central 'datamart' as defined in the Batch Distribution control file and automated in the Scheduler Task List.

IF, however, the end users need to be able to define the relevant subset to refresh 'on-the-fly', e.g...a start and end date for a subset of a time series, this is done using parameter passing. The Report IOK file needs to be configured with parameters determining which subset of the central 'datamart' source needs to be loaded into the local file on refresh. Parameter passing is not intended to work from an un-enabled IOK file opened in a free Viewer, but ServerPlus enabling of some of this parameter passing from free Viewers has been mooted as an Idea.
  • Alexander     Alexander October 1, 2013 8:57AM
    Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the extensive reply. Hereby I would like to vote for this idea. Can you post a link to this topic, I couldn't find it.

Thanks.
  •     tjbate October 23, 2013 8:28AM
    Alexander - Please contribute to the further development of this idea here:

http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/2375/idea-web-version-passing-parameters-and-variables-via-urlss

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership