Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Idea: Recalc button, highlighted red - Visokio Forums
Idea: Recalc button, highlighted red
  • VoteVote Up6Vote Down Alfonso     Alfonso July 20, 2013 1:46PM
    Hi,

Due the number of formulae involved and the large amount of data managed, our model file needs to work in Manual Calculate mode,

We think there currently exist three Calculation Modes:

- 1) Automatic (with the Skip Option or Total option when start the mode, the Omniscope acts in automatic).
    - 2) Recalculate all....
    - 3) Recalculate only formula you have selected first....

...only the options 1 and 2 can avoid coherence problems of calculated data.

We prefer the first one, but only for select the Skip (saltar) option and then we need to deactivate the automatic calc. (for navigation and data entry problems), as it is a bit complex if you are making simulations, the user don't like so much the solution.

Could I suggest to create a new option. Manual option that use the Skip option only for one time and after the calcul process return to manual calcul mode?.

Also, we need a Warning that help the user to see in what Calcul mode is working, because the navigation and data entry times change dramatically between two mode settings.

Thanks for your attention.

Alfonso

imageimage
  • 7 Comments
  •     steve July 24, 2013 1:58AM
    I'm not sure I follow.

Do you want the ability to configure *which* fields get automatically calculated in "Calculate automatically" mode? I.e. the ability to disable certain fields from automatic calculation ("partial automatic calculation") via a "Include fields in auto calc" menu?

As for the warning, currently there is a warning on open file if "Calculate automatically" is unticked. If we did the above change, we'd show a similar warning for the case of partial automatic calculation.
  • Alfonso     Alfonso July 24, 2013 5:25AM
    Hi Steve,

No, sorry, I'm not explaining correctly. My suggestions are:
    - Manual Calculation: when the user launch the manual calculation, it only should calculate the formulas that needs to be calculated, not all the formulas by default). (like the option skyp in automatic launch). I.E: I've 100 formulas in a model.. when I launch the manual calculation, Omnioscope selects what formulas are up to date and what formulas not, then recalculate only these.
    - Automatic Calculation: (New topic), we found that transtitions between tab when automatic mode is activated increases the transition time a lot, (up to 2 times), Is it possible that when the user selects other tab the automatic calculs being deactivated by omnioscope and after transition process, it becomes reactivated?.

If needed I can share my desktop and show you better what I suggest.

Regards,

Alfonso

•     steve July 25, 2013 1:35AM
    We'd like to find options and behaviours that improve end-user performance in cases like yours. However your manual calculation suggestion is likely to be unworkable for architectural reasons.

Automatic recalculation of some fields is triggered when changing tab, only when you have variables with different values. The variable devices might not be visible, but if shown, will have different values to the previous tabs.

I suggest reviewing your tabs and their variable values. Perhaps some have unnecessary differences.

Also review your formula-variable dependencies, and see if you can splice your formula fields in order to reduce the amount of complexity that is recalculated when a variable changes.
  • Alfonso     Alfonso July 25, 2013 2:19AM
    Ok, thanks for your comments, we'll review formulas in order avoid extra-time.

As we are going to change continuously between static and automatic calcul mode, what about a visual warning (like red refresh warning) or variable that can be managed in formulas, for help the user knowing about the calculation mode activated (manual, automatic).

Alfonso

•     steve July 26, 2013 1:50AM
    Alfonso,

I think the best solution is:
    - with auto recalc turned off
    - show a button on the main toolbar "Recalc"
    - coloured red when recalc is due
    - click to recalc all/selected(?) fields

I've updated this idea's title to reflect.

However this level of change can't be added to 2.8, which is nearing production status. We'll look at adding to 2.9, available very shortly to alpha partners.

Steve
  • Alfonso     Alfonso July 26, 2013 5:49AM
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for Hearing and help, let me know when it's ready for test. However our model is on 2.8 and migrating to 2.9 is not prevued at the moment, It can be a reason to convince Customer for migrating.

Regards,

Alfonso
  •     richard September 24, 2013 6:50AM
    From Omniscope 2.9 build 468+ a 'Recalc' button will be displayed in the toolbar for recalculating selected formula fields.

This button is only visible when the following menu option is disabled via the toolbar, 'Data' > 'Formulas' > 'Calculate automatically'.

Richard

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership