Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Scheduler: Running from Linux Command-line? - Visokio Forums
Scheduler: Running from Linux Command-line?
  •     tamax July 9, 2013 7:19AM
    Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to install Visokio Scheduler on a Linux Server (without graphical interface) in order to have more CPU power for iok publishing.

Let me explain our situation:

- We have Omniscope Server Plus installed on a Windows server, with only 7.5GB of RAM.
    - For some (very) big iok files the publishing task fails because of RAM limitation
    - My idea is to use a bigger Linux server that would be in charge of iok publishing, but ideally the Scheduler would remain on the windows server, for ease of use.

Is it possible to do something like this? I am asking because Linux servers are much cheaper than windows, but I don't want to migrate the whole installation on Linux, just to use its CPU power.

Thanks, Maxime
  • 6 Comments
  •     mustafa July 9, 2013 9:27AM
    We have added support for Omniscope server to be run on Linux from 2.8, for further information see http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/2116/linux-server-version-2.8-/p1
  •     tamax July 9, 2013 9:44AM
    Hi Mustafa,

It seems to fit quite well our needs. Thanks for the answer we will try it out
  •     tjbate July 9, 2013 10:08AM
    Maxime - Omniscope will definitely run on Linux...but you will need to activate the Linux machine with a ServerPlus license. In addition, you cannot access the Server/Scheduler Task List on the Windows machine from the Linux machine. In order to share a Task List, or in order to have two Task Lists, one on each machine, BOTH machines must use ServerPlus keys.

Your organisation already has a principal ServerPlus key, and one spare key being used elsewhere, but you are entitled to a second spare key for the price of a 10+ Desktop.

Adding more RAM to your Windows server could be your cheapest option (my laptop has more RAM than your Server?), but if you don't want to do this, you either need to buy another spare ServerPlus license (for the price of a 10+ Desktop), or else de-activate the Windows 'server', move the key to the Linux server and use only the Linux box to run Omniscope Server/Scheduler.
  •     tamax July 9, 2013 10:40AM
    Hi....Actually I don't want to run Task List on both servers, I want it only on Linux, and hopefully being able to manage it from our current Windows server.

The purpose is to be able to use more power to publish iok file without scaling vertically our Windows server as Linux ones are much cheaper.

•     tjbate July 9, 2013 12:43PM
    Maxime - Although the Linux version can run the Scheduler service on the Linux platform, currently there is no Scheduler UI provided for Linux 'headless' installations. Even if all your jobs are to be running on the Linux server, you would still have to configure the Scheduler Task List on the Windows server using an activated Server license (and 'portable' file paths), then copy the resulting "config.xml" Task List file over to the headless Linux server for automated execution.
  •     tjbate July 9, 2013 12:48PM
    Note that a full standalone version for Linux is still in the Ideas page:

http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/1106

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership