Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Refresh: Maintaining value sort orders/shapes? - Visokio Forums
Refresh: Maintaining value sort orders/shapes?
  • Alfonso     Alfonso July 3, 2013 6:28AM
    Hi,

I'm using Data > Manage Fields > {field options}> Value order colours & shapes

It works fine during a session, but when I do data refresh the order disappear, and also the colours and shapes settings, because new data comes in. (I'm using a cache deletion in the data refresh...)

Is there any method to maintain the order and marker shape settings I made before the refresh?.

Thanks in advance, Alfonso
  • 9 Comments
  •     tjbate July 4, 2013 9:56AM
    Alfonso - It sounds like there are lots of different, new values coming into the target field/column on each refresh?

If the list of allowable values is known and pre-defined when you set the sort orders and marker shapes, then 'upstream' data validation blocks and filters, including filter-by-merge versus a reference list of allowable values should be used to stop unexpected 'rogue' values from entering the ordered fields on refresh. New, unexpected values entering via refresh can disturb the sort order, although usually they just appear at the bottom of the order with default colours and marker shapes?
  •     Steve_Randall July 4, 2013 11:12AM
    I have a similar problem where I have managed to maintain the value order in a field by merging a file with the right order back in the datamanager but the colours revert back to the default. I want to retain for example value 'Yes' as green and value 'No' as Red. Is it possible to set the colours?
    Thanks
    Steve
  •        daniel July 4, 2013 12:47PM
    I was thinking about that same problem when I suggested this:
    http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/2100/idea-colouring-interpreting-colour-values-in-data-sets

It was supposed to be a way to specifically write colours into each row of data. If the order follows some logical way it could be translated into a numerical format. I'm not so sure about the shapes though.

As for Steve R, if it's just a two case situation you can create a new field that:
    IF(EXAMPLE_VALUE="YES", "GREEN", "RED")
    and use the auto-recognise colour words in Omniscope to colour it by that new colour field.
  • Alfonso     Alfonso July 4, 2013 2:49PM
    Hi Tjbate,

The refresh process clean the Order made in the Field+Value option, can It happens because I've cleaned the cache file?. (needed for assured the data coherence).

I know that the order can be exported and re imported, if there was an option to auto import this file in the IOK open process it should be the best solution for me.

Other's can be what you suggest about.

Thanks for the ideas..

Alfonso

•     steve July 5, 2013 1:52AM
    We've tested, and can't reproduce using a simple example (attached).

I've created a list of values, loaded data, configured custom order and colours, and these persist on refresh after clear cache or re-open file.

Perhaps you have ticked this option?
    "Settings > Advanced file settings > Overwrite format settings on refresh from source"

This would explain it. When ticked, your DataManager configuration (which has no colours or order applied) will erase your settings made in Omniscope. When unticked, the default, settings are merged.
  •     steve July 5, 2013 1:53AM
    Test file attached.
    Attachments
    List of values.iok 6K
  •     tjbate July 5, 2013 5:15AM
    Alphonso - If you create a text (.txt) file with the correct sort order for all valid values for a given field/column, you can use the 'Import order' and 'Export order' options at the bottom (scroll to bottom) of the Text/Category field ordering dialogue under Data > Manage fields > {Field} Value Order... to manage the ordering automatically.

This feature was added to help maintain very long lists of values that do not sort naturally, like bond ratings...AAA, AA, A1, BB, CCC etc.
  • Alfonso     Alfonso July 6, 2013 4:40AM
    Hi Steve, tjbate,

Thanks for the support. "Settings > Advanced file settings > Overwrite format settings on refresh from source" could explain the erasing effect, I will try to untick this option.

The short txt list is the option to save the backup of 'official' order, and can be used to reduce the restore order process when it change without our control.

Regards,

Alfonso Fabra
  •     acohen October 25, 2013 10:32AM
    Hi Thomas,

I am trying to get the automatic field ordering to work from the server (by automatically importing the field order from a text file). Should this be possible? If so please can you explain the steps.

I've tried doing this by specifying"value order" in a field organiser with "Overwrite format settings" ticked on but this loses colour configuration for all other fields. And if it is ticked off then it does not seem to bring in the text file field order.

Thanks,
    Ariel

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership