Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Merge/Join: Row count? - Visokio Forums
Merge/Join: Row count?
  • nicci113 May 14, 2013 12:21PM
    Hi There - This is my first time ever to do this on my own and I want to make sure it's correct. My data from Google and Bing has 709 rows as shown in the DataManager data flow (attached) and from my another source its 3,376 but when I merge them together it still remains 3,376? Does that mean it's not picking data from my another source or is it something else?

Please suggest. I don't have anybody in work to guide me through.
    Thanks,
    Attachments
    design.docx 171K
  • 5 Comments
  •     tjbate May 14, 2013 12:30PM
    Nicci - When you use the Merge/Join block, the values in defined fields in both left and right incoming data sets are compared, and you can keep rows containing only the matches, or the unmatched records from either side, or all the rows in the output. By default, it is keeping all the rows, so the row count will be the larger of the two sides, in this case 3,376.

Try excluding the un-matched records.
  •     tjbate May 14, 2013 12:53PM
    There are useful videos explaining most major operations, Merge/Join is here:

http://tc.visokio.com/videos/?name=DataManagerMergeJoin&title=Merge%2Fjoin&lang=gb
  • nicci113 May 14, 2013 4:03PM
    I understand and many thanks for the video much much appreciate that effort!
    What I don't understand is that In my result i see value from both data source, but in the design it shows as if I am only getting data from on source, why does that happen? So does that means the by default the row count will always be the larger value among the other selection??

Sorry for a big summary, I'm relativerly new to omniscope and don't have much office guidance.
  • nicci113 May 14, 2013 4:06PM
    Think I got some answer to why numbers are same from left join watched the video for 2times and its the selection between 1:1 and 1:many join, Am I correct in thinking ??
  •     chris May 15, 2013 12:34PM
    Hi Nicci,

I don't fully understand what you are doing here, but I'm happy to arrange a screen share if you still need help here. I've send you a private email, so please respond if you would like to proceed.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership